• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recent immigrant needs advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davidablackwell

What is the name of your state? California

I recently received my green card and am working full time. I am being pursued for Child Support from the unit in Denver, Colorado. This dates from fall of 2005 when my wife (who is an American) claimed support for our son. I was living in the US at the time, but could not legally work due to my visa status. Child support have sent a "verification of earnings" form to my wok address in Los Angeles where I now live. I called them and they told me that they are puruing me to re-pay the amount given in support of my son EVEN THOUGH I was not legally able to work when my wife claimed it.

I'm shocked to say the least, I need advise on how to handle this and what the possible ramifications are. I am separated from my wife at present an we have an informal agreement where I give her support. This is obviously threatened if I end up with an attachment of earnings. I am also concerned that this may effect my residency in a negative way.

ANY advice is much appreciated.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not sure what advice you're looking for. You have a child to whom the state provided aid due to your not doing so. Since you're now working, why should you not be required to repay the money taxpayers have provided to your child?

BelizeBreeze

davidablackwell said:
What is the name of your state? California
I'm shocked to say the least, I need advise on how to handle this and what the possible ramifications are. I am separated from my wife at present an we have an informal agreement where I give her support. This is obviously threatened if I end up with an attachment of earnings. I am also concerned that this may effect my residency in a negative way.

ANY advice is much appreciated.
Your agreement with the wife is worthless. You owe the state for the aid she received for the child and that's the end of it. As far as residency, it will affect it not in the least unless you allow the arrears to grow to an amount that rises to a criminal suit.

davidablackwell

Thanks for the replies.
Maybe I should have added that I was unaware of my wife's claim for Child Support as she was supposed to be the bread-winner while I immigrated to the US. My concern regarding the repayment of "tax-payers money" is only relevent in so far as I am the sole financial support for my son right now and wasn't expecting to have to double-up.

davidablackwell

to Stealth 2

wow, thanks for that, I'll let my clinically depressed wife know that she should go back to work. I tried to explain a little more about my situation and thanked you for your "advice".
It must be great to be such a judgemental dick.
Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, I'm sorry that's not the answer you wanted to read. Dunno what else you expect - what makes you think that the taxpayers should support your kids and wife? If she can't work, then you need to look at taking on a second job to pay what needs paying. That's just the reality of life.

Whyte Noise

David, you will not have to "double up". She either gets aid from the state or Child Support, but not both.

When she applied for state aid, she should have told them you were paying her child support through an informal agreement between the 2 of you and that should have been counted as income for her (if you were paying her at that time). If she didn't tell them she was receiving money from you for child support purposes, she lied. NO, the document you have with her is not a legally binding agreement unless it has a judges signature on it to maker it into a court order.

The state WILL expect to be reimbursed by you for the money they paid out to mom in state aid. They will set a legal child support order and you will pay them, not the mother.

nextwife

davidablackwell said:
to Stealth 2

wow, thanks for that, I'll let my clinically depressed wife know that she should go back to work.
Excuse me? I have clinical depression running in my family. Several close family members have been clinically depressed for years and not only do they work, but some are respected professionals in their fields. So don't go around giving misinformation that being clinically depressed makes one incapable of working. Are they TREATING their depression?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
nextwife said:
Excuse me? I have clinical depression running in my family. Several close family members have been clinically depressed for years and not only do they work, but some are respected professionals in their fields. So don't go around giving misinformation that being clinically depressed makes one incapable of working. Are they TREATING their depression?
But they're not special, nw.

davidablackwell said:
to Stealth 2

wow, thanks for that, I'll let my clinically depressed wife know that she should go back to work. I tried to explain a little more about my situation and thanked you for your "advice".
It must be great to be such a judgemental dick.
Thanks.
Don'tcha love how pissed they get when you tell them they have to be financially responsible for their children?!?!?!?:rolleyes:

Whyte Noise

It's not the fact he's pissed that he has to be financially responsible for his children. He's been doing that by paying his wife, or did you all not read the entire first post? What SHE has done, however, is go and get aid while he's been paying her and he knows nothing about the laws, thinking he could to have to "double up" payments - pay the state and then pay her as well.

Sheesh.... sometimes folks should just answer the damn questions instead of being so judgmental and assuming someone is trying to get out of a CS obligation. The man has a valid concern based on his post. He's been paying CS to her, she gets on state aid, and possibly lied and said she got no CS from him to get that aid, and now the state wants their money. Yes, he has to pay the state back, but he won't be having to pay both mom AND the state, which is what his concern was.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Whyte Noise said:
It's not the fact he's pissed that he has to be financially responsible for his children. He's been doing that by paying his wife, or did you all not read the entire first post? What SHE has done, however, is go and get aid while he's been paying her and he knows nothing about the laws, thinking he could to have to "double up" payments - pay the state and then pay her as well.

Sheesh.... sometimes folks should just answer the damn questions instead of being so judgmental and assuming someone is trying to get out of a CS obligation. The man has a valid concern based on his post. He's been paying CS to her, she gets on state aid, and possibly lied and said she got no CS from him to get that aid, and now the state wants their money. Yes, he has to pay the state back, but he won't be having to pay both mom AND the state, which is what his concern was.
What he got pissy about was the suggestion that his WIFE - the woman who got this aid along with his support - should be thinking about getting a job! What on earth was wrong with suggesting that SHE be responsible for helping support the kid?

Sheesh - sometimes folks should read the damn posts instead of being so judgmental and assuming that someone is being unfair. That would be you, WN. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">