• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reduction of child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cc1010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I filed for child support in March. We had our child support conference in April. My sons daddy offered me $150/month at the conference. I asked the officer to do his calculations. They came up with $650/month. Ex was LIVID!!!!! He's been moaning and groaning about the amount ever since. He called me earlier to tell me he went back to the domestic office this afternoon because he suddenly got cut back on his work hours. Ive only been receiving child support for 2 months. Will they really do a re-evaluation this soon?

CSO286

I filed for child support in March. We had our child support conference in April. My sons daddy offered me $150/month at the conference. I asked the officer to do his calculations. They came up with $650/month. Ex was LIVID!!!!! He's been moaning and groaning about the amount ever since. He called me earlier to tell me he went back to the domestic office this afternoon because he suddenly got cut back on his work hours. Ive only been receiving child support for 2 months. Will they really do a re-evaluation this soon?
When a child support court order is issued, there is usually a notice included giving a timeframe to request a review of the order (30-90 days): A "Notice of Rights Regarding Review and Appeal" (name varies by state).

If the other party follows the instructions there, then it may be possible to have the support looked at again.

And it really is only fair if Dad's circumstance have changed dramatically through no fault of his own, that child support be looked at again.

The federal office of child support enforcement requires that every case be looked at at least once every three years. Some states stick to that like glue, refusing to reivew and order unless it has been three years, other have a more flexible view--depending on the circumstances of the case.

A question for you: If you found out tomorrow that the other party was promoted and was now making twice as much money as he did when the support was established, would you be requesting a review at this time?

LdiJ

Maybe...its really suspicious that dad's work hours changed just two months after child support started. However, if they really did, and it was involuntary on dad's part, then its legit for dad to file for a reduction.

cc1010

When a child support court order is issued, there is usually a notice included giving a timeframe to request a review of the order (30-90 days): A "Notice of Rights Regarding Review and Appeal" (name varies by state).

If the other party follows the instructions there, then it may be possible to have the support looked at again.

And it really is only fair if Dad's circumstance have changed dramatically through no fault of his own, that child support be looked at again.

The federal office of child support enforcement requires that every case be looked at at least once every three years. Some states stick to that like glue, refusing to reivew and order unless it has been three years, other have a more flexible view--depending on the circumstances of the case.

A question for you: If you found out tomorrow that the other party was promoted and was now making twice as much money as he did when the support was established, would you be requesting a review at this time?

No...... I wouldn't because the paperwork said about a review every 3 years. I don't remember anything about the 30-90 days review. I thought we were "locked" in this amount for 3 years. Thanks for your help.

cc1010

Maybe...its really suspicious that dad's work hours changed just two months after child support started. However, if they really did, and it was involuntary on dad's part, then its legit for dad to file for a reduction.

He's been working this same job for a few years now. It tends to slow down in the winter time. But summer time is usually when they are their busiest. Thanks for your reply.

CSO286

No...... I wouldn't because the paperwork said about a review every 3 years. I don't remember anything about the 30-90 days review. I thought we were "locked" in this amount for 3 years. Thanks for your help.
Review your order.

Most do have room for appeal and review.

And, even in the states where CSED will only do an Agency Review every 3 years, there is usually still room for one party or the other to bring their own motion if/when circumstances changes.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The point of the question was missed. I can guarantee you that, if he doubled his income, you would have somebody in your ear (friend, coworker, relative, whatever) that would plant the seed in your mind to head back for a modification.

cc1010

Review your order.

Most do have room for appeal and review.

And, even in the states where CSED will only do an Agency Review every 3 years, there is usually still room for one party or the other to bring their own motion if/when circumstances changes.

Im going to look at the paperwork again. I know there was a date for an appeal..... and that has since passed. Thanks for your help.

CSO286

Im going to look at the paperwork again. I know there was a date for an appeal..... and that has since passed. Thanks for your help.
Even if the date for appeal has passed, the other party could still bring it in for review based on the change in circumstances.

Child support is meant to be fluid, to chance as the circumstances change--whether up or down.

cc1010

Even if the date for appeal has passed, the other party could still bring it in for review based on the change in circumstances.

Child support is meant to be fluid, to chance as the circumstances change--whether up or down.

Update: Domestic Relations asked Ex for pay stubs and/or letter from his employer verifying that his hours had dropped. He couldn't provide either one, so there will be no review at this time. I appreciate everyones responses.

cc1010

Update: Domestic Relations asked Ex for pay stubs and/or letter from his employer verifying that his hours had dropped. He couldn't provide either one, so there will be no review at this time. I appreciate everyones responses.
Well..... Im back again. I received a letter from Domestic Relations this morning saying we have another consult for lowing his child support next month. He supposedly got layed off for 2 weeks? but going back to work after the 2 weeks off. I thought they figured in unemployment figures when determining the amount in the beginning? I love how he went out last week and bought a 2014 PU truck but cant afford his monthly child support UUGH! Anyways.... my question is...... Should I hire a lawyer to go with me to this next appt?

LdiJ

Well..... Im back again. I received a letter from Domestic Relations this morning saying we have another consult for lowing his child support next month. He supposedly got layed off for 2 weeks? but going back to work after the 2 weeks off. I thought they figured in unemployment figures when determining the amount in the beginning? I love how he went out last week and bought a 2014 PU truck but cant afford his monthly child support UUGH! Anyways.... my question is...... Should I hire a lawyer to go with me to this next appt?
Its probably not necessary to hire an attorney at this point, but I would sure try to bring a picture of dad's new truck with you.

Proserpina

And we have proof that Dad's parents/sig. other/Best Friend Bob didn't buy the truck or gift the money?

No. No, we don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">