• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refuses to communicate about his portion of uncovered insurance expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rileysmommy16

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Just to break it down a little. I have had sole legal and physical custody of my 5 year old since she was one. He was only ever requested to pay child support as she was on state insurance up until 6 months ago so he was never asked to pay medical. After our last modification he was asked to cover 55% of uncovered costs. She needed glasses and his portion of the uncovered cost came up to a whole $13.75. Any ways I requested this for 3 months now and he is refusing to talk to me unless its about termination of his parental rights (so he can get out of paying his back child support) or if my 5 year old calls him directly. Mind you the last time he saw her or made communication at all was back in October 2011 and she has no idea who he is as her stepfather has been in her life for the past 2 and 1/2 years. What am I supposed to do? The $13.75 isn't a big deal but if he's refusing now what happens if large medical costs occur? The only reason he is even paying child support right now is because his wages are being garnished and that's been interrupted twice this year due to change in employers.

What can I do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Just to break it down a little. I have had sole legal and physical custody of my 5 year old since she was one. He was only ever requested to pay child support as she was on state insurance up until 6 months ago so he was never asked to pay medical. After our last modification he was asked to cover 55% of uncovered costs. She needed glasses and his portion of the uncovered cost came up to a whole $13.75. Any ways I requested this for 3 months now and he is refusing to talk to me unless its about termination of his parental rights (so he can get out of paying his back child support) or if my 5 year old calls him directly. Mind you the last time he saw her or made communication at all was back in October 2011 and she has no idea who he is as her stepfather has been in her life for the past 2 and 1/2 years. What am I supposed to do? The $13.75 isn't a big deal but if he's refusing now what happens if large medical costs occur? The only reason he is even paying child support right now is because his wages are being garnished and that's been interrupted twice this year due to change in employers.

What can I do?
You can do what Zigner stated.
You can send him a copy of the invoice showing the portion you paid by certified mail and request payment within 30 days. If he doesn't pay file a motion to show cause.
You can tell your daughter the truth and that her stepfather is NOT her father and who her father actually is and introduce him to her by way of pictures and a monitored telephone call.

rileysmommy16

I'm not sure what you are saying? I did pay entire cost. That's not my issue. The issue is he is refusing to pay any of his medical obligation period. I'm worried what is going to happen when the amount is larger since my daughter has a $2000 deductible.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm not sure what you are saying? I did pay entire cost. That's not my issue. The issue is he is refusing to pay any of his medical obligation period. I'm worried what is going to happen when the amount is larger since my daughter has a $2000 deductible.
You have to show him that you paid the entire cost and prove it to him. Hence the invoice showing total out of pocket payment. And are you required to pay the first $100 or so out of pocket before his share starts?

rileysmommy16

Why should I bring it up to my five year old when he won't call her nor does he have intentions of doing visitation with her at all?
He moved out of state without even saying anything over 4 years ago.
I'm not nor have I ever tried to cut communication between them. He made that decision on his own.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You really shouldn't live your life worrying about such things. Wait until such a thing occurs and deal with it then. If you want to be a bit proactive, start setting aside a few dollars from each paycheck. Then, when (if) the day comes, you'll have the money to pay the bill, after which you can go after dad.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why should I bring it up to my five year old when he won't call her nor does he have intentions of doing visitation with her at all?
He moved out of state without even saying anything over 4 years ago.
I'm not nor have I ever tried to cut communication between them. He made that decision on his own.
Oh, I don't know...because he's her FATHER maybe? :rolleyes:

rileysmommy16

No we pay the monthly premium and all costs that are not covered are split 55/45 based on our incomes. We both agreed to this last October in mediation. To best honest our mediator seemed like she wanted to hurry. It was a little frustrating for both of us. We were on good terms but he recently married and they are trying for a baby so now he is saying they need money for their soon to be child.

I'm just a little frustrated with the situation since he keeps pushing to terminate his rights when it's not possible at the moment.

rileysmommy16

We had a talk with her at 3 years old we've never hid it from her. We have also tried Skype back then but again he has made no effort at all the be a part of her life and she just doesn't remember who he is now.
If we need to we will have a talk again when she is older, but if he is refusing to see her or talk to her with supervised visits (given he has these because of inappropriate contact with several minors) then why should I keep throwing it in her face that she has a dad who doesn't want to make an effort to have contact?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We had a talk with her at 3 years old we've never hid it from her. We have also tried Skype back then but again he has made no effort at all the be a part of her life and she just doesn't remember who he is now.
If we need to we will have a talk again when she is older, but if he is refusing to see her or talk to her with supervised visits (given he has these because of inappropriate contact with several minors) then why should I keep throwing it in her face that she has a dad who doesn't want to make an effort to have contact?
Do what you want. You seem to have excuses for everything. Carry on.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

What can I do?
"Asked" or ordered by a judge?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">