• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding Underage Sex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KSeward06

I am 24 years old and I received a letter in the mail stating I had to report to Child Support in Vermont because a women I had a sexual relationship with when I was 13-15 years old and she was 18-20 years old believes I am the father of her 7 year old boy.I was manipulated to think our relationship was okay and after we stopped seeing eachother I never wanted this to happen ever again.I know the DOB of her son and I was 15 around the time he was conceived so that makes me underage.I have not taken a DNA test yet and don't want to because I was underage.Why would she wait this long to find out who the father of her child is and what should I do because I had the worst time of my life and want to forget about what she did and put me through.:mad:

Proserpina

I am 24 years old and I received a letter in the mail stating I had to report to Child Support in Vermont because a women I had a sexual relationship with when I was 13-15 years old and she was 18-20 years old believes I am the father of her 7 year old boy.I was manipulated to think our relationship was okay and after we stopped seeing eachother I never wanted this to happen ever again.I know the DOB of her son and I was 15 around the time he was conceived so that makes me underage.I have not taken a DNA test yet and don't want to because I was underage.Why would she wait this long to find out who the father of her child is and what should I do because I had the worst time of my life and want to forget about what she did and put me through.:mad:

If you're the father, you're obliged to support your child. I can find nothing in the VT code to indicate that you can't be held responsible simply because you were underage at the time of conception.

If you DON'T take the paternity test, you will likely be deemed the father by default - and you'll still be on the hook for support.

cyjeff

Folks... if this were a 15 year old girl preyed upon by a 20 something man, we would be coming down on the pedophile like a house of bricks.

In fact, I searched similar questions from women. Not once was the victim asked if the guy had been a bad lay or ugly.

To the OP, if you believe you have been raped, contact the authorities. You should know, however, that whether or not that person goes to prison does not change your responsibilities to the financial upkeep of the child one bit.

mistoffolees

Folks... if this were a 15 year old girl preyed upon by a 20 something man, we would be coming down on the pedophile like a house of bricks.

In fact, I searched similar questions from women. Not once was the victim asked if the guy had been a bad lay or ugly.

To the OP, if you believe you have been raped, contact the authorities. You should know, however, that whether or not that person goes to prison does not change your responsibilities to the financial upkeep of the child one bit.
I agree and was going to say the same thing. Since OP didn't give his state, I can't look up the statute of limitations or what crimes she could be charged with - they vary by state.

OHRoadwarrior

I had lots of experience being taken advantage of by woman over 18, starting when I was 13. I did everything in my power to make it happen as often as possible. OP is complaining about being responsible for conceiving a child. He has no right to abandon the child. When it goes to court, after he is proven to be the daddy, his recourse is to request she be charged with statutory rape, the dna test being proof. Then he needs to pay the support.

Alex1176

If you were 13-15 at the time of the relationship, and now you are 24, there is no chance in the world that you are the father of a 7 years old child, unless she is an elephant.

Proserpina

@Jeffy. Some of us would be reminding her that no matter what, the biological father can and will be held responsible for child support.

ecmst12

1. You NEED to respond to the letter. If you do nothing, you may be found to be the father by default. PLEASE take it very seriously.

2. Just because the minor may have enjoyed the relationship at the time doesn't make it any less wrong. It doesn't change the responsibilities that come with paternity, but it also doesn't mean that the child knew what he was doing when he "consented" to unprotected sex.

Last edited:

Alex1176

@Jeffy. Some of us would be reminding her that no matter what, the biological father can and will be held responsible for child support.
And if it was a 13 years old girl raped by an 20 years old male? The girl gave birth and the child was taken and raised by her aunt. Does anybody will sue the victim of the rape for child support?
Just curious.

Proserpina

And if it was a 13 years old girl raped by an 20 years old male? The girl gave birth and the child was taken and raised by her aunt. Does anybody will sue the victim of the rape for child support?
Just curious.

Yes.

Both parents - regardless of the circumstances of the birth - can be held liable for child support. Granted, the Aunt might be inclined to go after the rapist only, but she'd have the right to pursue both parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">