• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rehab

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cocochip1971

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My brother recently went to court, the judge told him to pay so much a month for support. He told the judge that he was getting ready to go into rehab for two years. The judge told him to go into rehab for thirty one days and to find a job. He's due back in court in March. He needs to go to rehab for two years. He's a heroin user. The rehab he's in now, gives him methadone. It's the same thing to me. He's 47 and has nothing, and his family is tired of taking care of him. He thinks that if he doesn't listen to the judge, that the judge can put him in jail. He really needs the two year program. Can the judge really do that to him?
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

enjmabe

Drug addiction is a horrible thing and bad things unfortunately happen to good people and the family and friends suffer the most. The only thing that could help is possibly jail time, unless he is willing to seek treatment and stay with it, does he have priors, It all depends on the judge , some judges show no pitty for drug addicts because they have a tendencey to show back in court with the same situation, the best advice I can give you is that you cannot live his life for him, make his descions, and take any blame upon yourself for his actions, do not be an enabeler. I have dealt with a similar situation and it is tough watching someone you love go through addiction. Best of luck!

BL

My brother recently went to court, the judge told him to pay so much a month for support. He told the judge that he was getting ready to go into rehab for two years. The judge told him to go into rehab for thirty one days and to find a job. He's due back in court in March. He needs to go to rehab for two years. He's a heroin user. The rehab he's in now, gives him methadone. It's the same thing to me. He's 47 and has nothing, and his family is tired of taking care of him. He thinks that if he doesn't listen to the judge, that the judge can put him in jail. He really needs the two year program. Can the judge really do that to him?
Thanks for listening.
Was he previously ordered to pay support and is in arrears ?

Or, is this the first time he has been ordered to pay , and either way , what is he ordered to pay ?

LdiJ

Thanks for listening.
Actually no, the judge cannot stop him from going into rehab. However his arrearages will accrue while he is in rehab and he will owe the money when he gets out, unless family or someone steps up and pays his child support for him.

How much was he ordered to pay? Could the family all kick in and pay it so that he avoids any court consequences but still gets the help that he needs?

Heroin is a horrible drug and the 2 year rehab is honestly his best bet for getting clean.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">