• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reimbursement of Health care expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana
The parenting plan states: "The parties are to equally assume any non-reimbursable health care related for children and shall pay their portion ot the expense directly to the provider in a timely manner; if feasible (otherwise the Party will reimburse the other Party in a timely manner). Visits for specialits for care for the children will be discussed before hand and agreed to by both Parties, except in the event of an emergency"

Per a phone conversation with Ex: It is his interpretation (of that clause) that I cannot take the either of the children for routine treatment without his consent, or agreement. And since I did not discuss any medical treatment with him prior to seeking treatment, he is not liable for any cost. (For example, the youngest had to have a booster shot last year, prior to starting school. I took him in to the county health unit for said booster. Ex is refusing to pay his half of the office visit fee. Booster was administered by an RN, we did not see an MD or nurse practitioner)

The oldest child has horrible eyesight (15 and already has to have bifocals). I made an appt. and took him in for yearly exam (w/ an Optometrist) and he needed new glasses.

While I have given up on ever seeing any money from the EX (other than his payroll deducted childsupport), I am curious if the Ex is correct in his interpretation of the clause?

Ex also feels/believes that because he volunteered to pay for oldest son's musical instrument (our school district requires middle schoolers to be in either orchestra, choir, or band---oldest started in Orchestra prior to divorce) when we divorced, that I should reimburse him for 1/2, and then he will consider paying me for out of pocket medical care. Ex offered to pay for said instrument, I advised him that he could do whatever he wanted, however I was perfectly happy to the monthly charge until instrument was paid off. He went ahead and paid the instrument off.

So my second question is: Is he correct in his thought process of "I owe him money", and until I pay that off, he can withhold payment of out-of-pocket medical expenses?

third question: If he refuses the letter (w/ a receipt for the payment for oldest's eye exam and new glasses, and refuses to acknowledge email stating the same, does that mitigate his responsibilities? (yes, I sent the letter certified, return receipt)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">