• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reimbursement of medical expenses from ex-spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgricher42

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My ex-wife and I have an agreement within the divorce decree to split uncovered medical expenses. I provide the medical insurance for the children. She is responsible for the co-payments. I have provided her invoice/receipts for all expenses including co-payments that I have made but she has delayed repaying me for over a year. Within what period of time does the court expect my ex-wife to reimburse me?

Last edited:

My x gives me grief everytime I try to get these reimbursed!! I have a child with MD so my medical bills get really high. My decree states that I'm to pay the bill first then he has to repay me within 30 days. Everytime the bill is high (as in over 100.00) he refuses to pay. I'm taking him to small claims court on the most recent denied payment from him. The biggest problem is that he files a "motion to slow pay" and I end up getting 5.00 a month. I can't afford this when I'm having to pay everything first. I have medical bills for thousands of $ an it places a huge burden on my household.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
dgricher42 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
My ex-wife and I have an agreement within the divorce decree to split uncovered medical expenses. I have provided her invoice/receipts for all expenses but she has delayed repaying me for over a year. Within what period of time does the court expect my ex-wife to reimburse me?
Have you also given her EOB statements showing what insurance paid? And who is to pay the first portion of the deductible? If it is you did you provide her with proof that you paid that? Too many variables to answer your question. Because there are things you are expected to do. If you have not completed them all then she doesn't have to. Also, does your court order state a period of time she has to reimburse you? Were these in network or out of network providers? Did you inform her of any and all appointments that you expected you to cover before the scheduled appointment time?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Kimmyf1965 said:
My x gives me grief everytime I try to get these reimbursed!! I have a child with MD so my medical bills get really high. My decree states that I'm to pay the bill first then he has to repay me within 30 days. Everytime the bill is high (as in over 100.00) he refuses to pay. I'm taking him to small claims court on the most recent denied payment from him. The biggest problem is that he files a "motion to slow pay" and I end up getting 5.00 a month. I can't afford this when I'm having to pay everything first. I have medical bills for thousands of $ an it places a huge burden on my household.
Start your own thread and dont hijack this one and people may give you advice on what you are doing wrong.

Ohiogal said:
Start your own thread and dont hijack this one and people may give you advice on what you are doing wrong.
I don't think Kimmy was trying to start a new topic, I think she was sharing her similar experience with the OP's situation.

Does your Order not say when the paying parent should be reimbursed? Mine says 30 days from when they are given the receipt. If yours does not specify, I'd consider getting your Order changed to address this issue.

dgricher42

I have provided my ex-wife receipts for medical expenses and EOB statements showing what insurance paid. We are to split uncovered medical expenses therefore each of us are to pay a portion of the deductible. The court order does not state a period of time she has to reimburse me. She has acknowledged that she owes me the money and has for over a year (and in some cases for years). More recently she has paid for uncovered medical expenses and has decided to offset what she believes she owes me with her recent expenses. Consequently, I never get paid the full amount. Since the court order does not specify the period, I would like to understand when the court would consider my ex-wife to be in comtempt (if ever)? In some cases, I have not informed my ex-wife of doctor visits due to medical emergencies but have informed her after the fact. All medical visits have been in-network.

ceara19

dgricher42 said:
I have provided my ex-wife receipts for medical expenses and EOB statements showing what insurance paid. We are to split uncovered medical expenses therefore each of us are to pay a portion of the deductible. The court order does not state a period of time she has to reimburse me. She has acknowledged that she owes me the money and has for over a year (and in some cases for years). More recently she has paid for uncovered medical expenses and has decided to offset what she believes she owes me with her recent expenses. Consequently, I never get paid the full amount. Since the court order does not specify the period, I would like to understand when the court would consider my ex-wife to be in comtempt (if ever)? In some cases, I have not informed my ex-wife of doctor visits due to medical emergencies but have informed her after the fact. All medical visits have been in-network.
Which one of you has custody of the kids or do you have joint/shared custody?
Has child support been ordered?
If so, how is it handled, is it paid directly from one parent to the other, does it go through the state enforcement office, etc.?

It MAY be possible to have CSE enforce the order and get mom to pay. CSE has the ability to enforce a medical order, however, may times they will only enforce the insurance coverage issue only without getting involved in the reimbursement of uncovered costs. Hopefully OG will be back soon to better explain your options.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
dgricher42 said:
It is a reasonable period of time that she is if it is not stated in your agreement. You need to take her back to court and file a motion to show cause to have her prove to the court why she hasn't paid you. you also didn't answer whether or not these were in-network or out of network costs, and whether mom was informed of them at the time (did she know of the appointments when or before they transpired)?

LdiJ

Ohiogal said:
It is a reasonable period of time that she is if it is not stated in your agreement. You need to take her back to court and file a motion to show cause to have her prove to the court why she hasn't paid you. you also didn't answer whether or not these were in-network or out of network costs, and whether mom was informed of them at the time (did she know of the appointments when or before they transpired)?
Keep in mind however that she also hasn't been reimbursed for some of the expenses that she has incurred, so be prepared to deal with that as well.

weenor

I will add that when you go to court, get a date certain in the order so your not having to deal with the "reasonable" time issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">