• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relative hiding income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kittster6

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Greetings. My brother-in-law has been having my wife (sister) cash some sort of checks from his employer of the month for him from her account. I think this is evasive, and wonder if my wife could be in trouble if this is true. The brother in law will not open any kind of bank account either. Could my wife and I be in any peril here?
Thank you

ezmarelda

kittster6 said:
Greetings. My brother-in-law has been having my wife (sister) cash some sort of checks from his employer of the month for him from her account. I think this is evasive, and wonder if my wife could be in trouble if this is true. The brother in law will not open any kind of bank account either. Could my wife and I be in any peril here?
Thank you
I am not trying to be rude but...what does your question have to do with Child Support?

AHA

sorry...eme said:
I am not trying to be rude but...what does your question have to do with Child Support?
BIL probably has ex-kids that he is supposed to be providing for, but is instead laundring his income through wifey's bankaccount to avoid having to pay cs.

ezmarelda

AHA said:
BIL probably has ex-kids that he is supposed to be providing for, but is instead laundring his income through wifey's bankaccount to avoid having to pay cs.
Possibly...but untill OP tells us we will never know;)

fairisfair

kittster6 said:
Thank you
aside from the fact that you are responsible for the repayment to the bank should any of those checks be insufficient funds, that monies that are not yours are filtering through your accounts should you ever be audited for any reason or have to show your account information for any purpose, that he is using you to evade and avoid his responsiblities, that you are knowingly allowing it to happen, yes.

kittster6 said:
Thank you
Are they paychecks that are being cashed or just personal checks? If they're paychecks then I don't see it making a difference how they're cashed - he still has an income that should be used for CS and whether he cashes the checks through sis or the local grocery store shouldn't matter.

fairisfair

AmarieNorton said:
Are they paychecks that are being cashed or just personal checks? If they're paychecks then I don't see it making a difference how they're cashed - he still has an income that should be used for CS and whether he cashes the checks through sis or the local grocery store shouldn't matter.
the description "some sort of checks" doesn't lead me to believe that they are regular paychecks.

fairisfair said:
the description "some sort of checks" doesn't lead me to believe that they are regular paychecks.
In that case, 'ole boy is probably working under the table in some fashion and having sissy cash the checks cause he doesn't want a paper trail. The wife should have him bite the bullet and pay the grocery store $5.00 or whatever it is and cash the check himself. Unless of course the grocery store doesn't cash personal checks. Any way you slice it, it could come back to bite OP's wife in the butt later.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not to mention but if the OP has a joint account with his wife then it falls squarely on him as well.

ezmarelda

of course we may never know what kind of checks they are or how any of it is conected to C/S unless OP comes back and fills in the blanks;)

sorry...eme said:
of course we may never know what kind of checks they are or how any of it is conected to C/S unless OP comes back and fills in the blanks;)
Blanks...
Checks...
Blank Checks???

I want one! :D

kittster6

Okay, sort of left that out in the wind. (1) Paychecks, but I know that cash under the table exists. His 2 children are from live in girlfriend. She filed the court papers before he could.
For cust' and child support.
I'm only concerned if my wife and I could be liable should if friend of court drags his butt in.
I just found out about these financial arrangements.
Thanks

LdiJ

kittster6 said:
Okay, sort of left that out in the wind. (1) Paychecks, but I know that cash under the table exists. His 2 children are from live in girlfriend. She filed the court papers before he could.
For cust' and child support.
I'm only concerned if my wife and I could be liable should if friend of court drags his butt in.
I just found out about these financial arrangements.
Thanks
If they are paychecks I honestly can't see how your wife cashing them for him would provide him any more benefit than cashing them at a grocery store or check cashing place.
Maybe it would save him a few bucks in processing fees...but that is all.

I also don't see how it could cause any problem for you or your wife....unless one of them bounces.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">