• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relinquish parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jarrgray2002

South charolina

My old girl friend has asked me to relinquish parental right to my son so her new fiancé my adopt him. Due to my career I don’t spend any time in the states and believe this would be best since I have still yet to see him in two years. My question is if I say yes does this also include child support.

Well OF COURSE that is your question. What else could your question POSSIBLY BE???

Oh, you mean maybe something like, do you think this is the best thing for my child? Something like THAT??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mocabluu

Since you live in SC, the laws may vary a little. But here's what my lawyer told me, maybe it will help you a little.

My ex relinquished his rights to my daughter giving me full custody.
He still owes me child support until the DAY she is adopted.
If you relinquish your rights and he decides NOT to adopt you child you will still owe child support until her boyfriend or whomever assumes legal financial responsibility for the child.
If you terminate your rights and she dumps him and stays single the rest of her life, she still holds the power to NEVER let you see your child and you will still owe child support until he is an adult.
It may be slightly different in SC, but I highly doubt it.
Most importantly though, the child needs to be taken care of.

I PERSONALLY wouldn't sign the papers until they are married and you KNOW that they're not going to split up and she'll be battling HIM over child support and custody agreements, but thats just my opinion.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Since you live in SC, the laws may vary a little. But here's what my lawyer told me, maybe it will help you a little.
This is exactly how misinformation gets passed around. You are in Florida, the OP is in South Carolina. Some states have identical laws, some states have similar laws, and some states have completely, vastly, different laws. If you don't know the difference, please don't advise people that it might be this way, or it might be that way. It can easily give the OP the wrong impression and send him in the wrong direction--regardless of your "it might be different in your state" disclaimer.

Clt747
This is exactly how misinformation gets passed around. You are in Florida, the OP is in South Carolina.
jarrgray2002
Due to my career I don’t spend any time in the states
Actually I don't think the OP is in S. Carolina at all. Maybe the ex gf and child are.

Just Blue

This is exactly how misinformation gets passed around. You are in Florida, the OP is in South Carolina. Some states have identical laws, some states have similar laws, and some states have completely, vastly, different laws. If you don't know the difference, please don't advise people that it might be this way, or it might be that way. It can easily give the OP the wrong impression and send him in the wrong direction--regardless of your "it might be different in your state" disclaimer.
We don't have to worry about that particular poster passing bad info any more...;)

Jaylynnsmommy

should I be weary of this persons advice giving abilities ? :p or do they just not know what they are talking about ? :confused: haha I'd like to know if someone were to reply to me and take bad advice ! I'd be angry ... Grr..

Just Blue

should I be weary of this persons advice giving abilities ? :p or do they just not know what they are talking about ? :confused: haha I'd like to know if someone were to reply to me and take bad advice ! I'd be angry ... Grr..
In general, not ALWAYS, but in general newbies don't know what they are talking about. Sr. will try and correct any bad info they see on the forum...And if the newbie continues to post crap they will get banned. That is why this is one of the best sites on the net for legal information...the bad members are weeded out!!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
There are different kinds of members on this site: some are actually lawyers, some have been through the system and know the ropes from experience, and some are like me--people who are fascinated by law and, when we answer questions, do so on the basis of what we know to be factual; by researching the appropriate law, or by what we've learned from this site or prior knowledge. And then there are those who have no idea what they're talking about.

This isn't a "gee, I just broke up with my boyfriend, what should I do?" site. The OP is asking a question about terminating his rights as a parent ! I consider a problem that will profoundly affect the lives of multiple people--including a baby--very serious business.

My request to people like Mocabluu is: if you don't think it's worth taking the time to at least try to know what you're talking about, then please don't presume to offer any advise beyond the importance of whether or not high heels should be worn with jeans.

I in no way mean to imply that I, myself, am any kind of expert. I'm not the most knowledgeable, qualified, educated, or intelligent person here by any stretch of the imagination, and I've certainly been wrong. But I do my best to try to be as accurate as possible. When I'm sure I don't know, I don't post.

jarrgray2002

Well OF COURSE that is your question. What else could your question POSSIBLY BE???

Oh, you mean maybe something like, do you think this is the best thing for my child? Something like THAT??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
for your info that is the question i aske dbefor this one and did determain that it would be best due to me being overseas making sure you can ask me questions like that and the man who would like to be a father in his life there. so he will not be confused when he grows but thank for your concern

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">