• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relinquish Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Want Relief

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

How do I relinquish my parental rights in MS to close a child support case. The mother has agreed to drop claim to the arrears if I will drop my rights. We were never married and we even live in different states. She closed her case bout a year ago but my state won't close it's case because I owe back support. What can I do???

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you asking how to stop being this child's parent?

Was the mother receiving any sort of welfare assistance when you owed her child support?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Even if you can get a court to sign off on your plan of not supporting Junior, you will still owe the arrearages (especially if ex has ever received on state aid). And a court won't sign off on it unless your ex has been married for over a year and the current spouse is willing to adopt.

Want Relief

The mother never received any type of state aid ever and she has also agreed to drop the case if I will stop being the "parent".

Want Relief

Even if you can get a court to sign off on your plan of not supporting Junior, you will still owe the arrearages (especially if ex has ever received on state aid). And a court won't sign off on it unless your ex has been married for over a year and the current spouse is willing to adopt.
The mother has been married for about 5-6 years and her husband is willing to adopt. What can I do to help the process?

milspecgirl

in this case, you need an attorney to draw up termination of parental rights/stepparent adoption papers.

You do understand that you will never have a right to see the child again- neither will your family. You will have no more ties to the child than the mailman does

Want Relief

I hardly saw the child anyway. I never paid support and the mother never tried to take me back to court. She said that she didn't want my refusal to pay to cause my children with my wife to view me as a deadbeat dad. She does not call my house about my lack of support ever. The state tracked me down.

milspecgirl

if the state tracked you down, then there is an open CS case with them which she opened or was opened on her behalf for some kind of state aid that the child was on (insurance maybe)

Want Relief

if the state tracked you down, then there is an open CS case with them which she opened or was opened on her behalf for some kind of state aid that the child was on (insurance maybe)
yes, there is an open case that was opened on her behalf. but that case was closed in her state. My state has not closed it's case. A judge here signed the order. The mother and child have never lived here. The mother has tried to close the case but the response is "the money is rightfully yours and we (state) are going to continue to collect the arrears.

milspecgirl

she needs to contact your state and request the case be closed. If they refuse she needs to ask on what grounds they are making her decision for her. Only the parent entitled to the CS has the right to close a case or leave it open UNLESS the state is owed money and then it is out of her hands

Want Relief

I will call the mother tomorrow and ask her to contact my state child support office and make to request to close the case.

Want Relief

At A Loss

The mother contact MS Child Support and was told the she could not close the case with an active witholding by my employer. She could make it inactive but could not close the case. What now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">