• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relinquishing parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tree0047

What is the name of your state? WI

I live in Oklahoma/child lives in WI......I don't have any custody including visitation. I haven't seen her in 3 to 4 years. The child's mother asked me at least two years ago to change the child's last name to hers, I agreed. We were never married but lived together for some time. She agreed that I would not have to pay child support as she had won a substantial award in an injury trial. Since then she must have gone through the money and applied for state health insurance on herself, (I carry health and dental insurance for the child in question). When she applied for state insurance the state of WI asked her about the father of the child. This is when I was contacted and forced to pay child support.

If I would relinquish my parental rights (I don't have any anyway) would I still have to pay child support? It is breaking my back. I have many bills and a new wife, this is putting a big strain financially on us.

CandiceH

Nope, you cant do that. Your child deserves support. Everyone has bills! Do a search of this site "terminating parental rights". You will find that it is not an easy thing to do, especially for financial gain.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You don't state that the lack of visitation is due to Mom not allowing it. But that's really moot, anyway. Your child is partially your responsibility. You don't get to simply walk away from that.

And I would hope that your new wife seriously considers the wisdom (or lack of it) of having a child with you.

ceara19

NotSoNew said:
and is never going to happen if mom doesnt even agree to it!
It isn't going to happen even if mom agrees. If she's on state assistance for herself, she would most likely need state assistance for the child if dad's rights were terminated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">