• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relinquishing rights with no child support or DNA test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Austknight

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Hi, About a year ago, a sheriff knocked on my door with a summons of a claim for child support. I spent nearly $1000, and after I asked for a DNA test, this woman dropped all charges. Yesterday I received some mail from her lawyer with a document to relinquish my rights as a parent, since her fiance wishes to adopt her child. I feel I have no authority in this matter since I am not claiming nor HAVE had any claims to this child. For all I know, this child is not mine. This feels like entrapment, and I really don't want to go to a lawyer to spend more money in a situation that I don't need to deal with at all. Does anybody have any suggestions or know of a form that I could send out that relates to this matter? Thank you.

justalayman

some states require a mother to notify all possible fathers of her intent. In those cases, it does not prove you are the father nor that you are not. It is simply a notification to the possible fathers so if they do not wish to allow the adoption, this is their opportunity to speak up.

I have not read what you have been sent so if you have any doubts, it might be a good idea to take it to a local attorney that can read it and provide an opinion.

Austknight

See thats just it. I don't feel I should be dealing with this crap. If I take it to a lawyer, they'll charge me hundreds of dollars and try to drag it on for as long as possible which is what I don't want to do. When I get the chance, I'll post exactly what it says.

justalayman

See thats just it. I don't feel I should be dealing with this crap.
then don't. I do not know what actions specifically the mother has to take. Some states will consider a lack of response as acceptable as refusing to make a claim. I don't know what your state requires.

If the court demands proof that a putative father is or is not the father, then you will end up going through a DNA test to prove it.

If I take it to a lawyer, they'll charge me hundreds of dollars and try to drag it on for as long as possible which is what I don't want to do
you walk into an attorney's office and ask them to read the letter and provide information as to the possibilities allowed in your states law. No long term dragging on anything. You walk out of the office, you are done.

and yes, it could easily cost a couple hundred bucks for his knowledge.

Austknight

If it is, why would I want to be with it? She kept it hidden for a year and a half until she served me papers. She never gave me the chance to inquire about it or know about it.. it was more or less.. hey.. you gave me a child now you're going to pay for it and I don't care if I don't want you to see it. The fact remains.. that I was never given any rights to the child in the first place. There was no DNA test, and when I wanted to get one done, she didn't want to do it. Now I'm being served these relinquishing of rights paperwork as a form of entrapment. At this point why would it matter if I signed anything that revoked any said rights?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Please be sure to tell any woman you may consider building a life with how little you cared about finding out whether or not you have a child. Sorry, but your attitude is disgusting.

AHA

If it is, why would I want to be with it? She kept it hidden for a year and a half until she served me papers. She never gave me the chance to inquire about it or know about it.. it was more or less.. hey.. you gave me a child now you're going to pay for it and I don't care if I don't want you to see it. The fact remains.. that I was never given any rights to the child in the first place. There was no DNA test, and when I wanted to get one done, she didn't want to do it. Now I'm being served these relinquishing of rights paperwork as a form of entrapment. At this point why would it matter if I signed anything that revoked any said rights?
A child is not an "it"!!!!!! Get snipped asap and spare any future children a cr@ppy daddy.

Just Blue

If it is, why would I want to be with it?
Wow. What a guy. Mom should be just so proud of you!! I would add your dad to this but I am sure he is off in a gutter huffing glue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">