• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repost: child went to live with father. How do I stop his child support garnishment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UnhappyInTexas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

On July 4th, 2011 my son went to go reside in another state with his father. Currently, orders are wage garnished Child Support. I called the local child support division to ask how to stop the support, and she told me to hire an attorney. I can't afford an attorney at the moment....but I do not want to get into trouble by just keeping the support going. What are my other options? Please help me.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

On July 4th, 2011 my son went to go reside in another state with his father. Currently, orders are wage garnished Child Support. I called the local child support division to ask how to stop the support, and she told me to hire an attorney. I can't afford an attorney at the moment....but I do not want to get into trouble by just keeping the support going. What are my other options? Please help me.
You can file for a child support modification. Start here:
https://www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/access/

However, until CS is modified by the court, you are entitled to continue receiving it. You can't get in trouble for that. You could, if you wish, go ahead and receive it and then send Dad a check for that amount.

Are you in agreement with the child going to live with his father? If not, that should be your focus rather than terminating support.

UnhappyInTexas

Thank you!

Yes, we are in agreement that a 12 y/o boy should go be with dad right...as I cannot teach a boy 2 be a man. I am, however, closely monitoring the situation via phonecalls to my son. Thanks so much for the info! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">