• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Representing Myself in Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcmsdad

What is the name of your state?I live in California and I am the father of 3 children. I have 80% custody. I have been unemployed for over a year and when my unemployment benefits ran out, I applied for publice assistance. A part of this application process required me to file child support papers with DCSS.

Recently, I found out from DCSS that I am required to attend the support hearing. They said I could either hire an attorney or represent myself. Since I cannot afford an attorney and I success represented myself during my divorce, I feel comfortable doing so again.

In response papers to the court, my ex stated that she is receiving financial assistance from her mother. I have reason to believe that this was in excess of $10,000 last year. She also stated that her live-in boyfriend is making $500.0 per month.

Can I call her mother to testify at the hearing? Can I ask her how much money she is giving my ex each month? If it is in cash, is there a way to find out? If so, what forms are needed and what is the process of having her served?

Can I call the boyfriend to testify? I have reason to believe he is in this country illegally. Can I ask for wages information? If my ex is supporting him and not her children, will the court take this into consideration?

Thanks in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">