• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Request for Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpvo

TX state
I have been divorced for 7 months. In the divorce decree, child support is not required. Agreement was made where any costs related to the children will be split 50/50. However, verbal agreement was made where he had to put in some money montly in the childrens savings for their college. He has not done this. To ensure that he does this, i would like to submit a request for modification in the divorce decree to have this added. Need to know what the procedure is. How soon can i submit a request for modication and how do i proceed?
please advise...thank you

Silverplum

TX state
I have been divorced for 7 months. In the divorce decree, child support is not required. Agreement was made where any costs related to the children will be split 50/50. However, verbal agreement was made where he had to put in some money montly in the childrens savings for their college. He has not done this. To ensure that he does this, i would like to submit a request for modification in the divorce decree to have this added. Need to know what the procedure is. How soon can i submit a request for modication and how do i proceed?
Texas law makes no provision that I have found for ordering college support.

Therefore, it's a waste of your time and efforts, IMHO. It's not going to be ordered.

cpvo

Texas law makes no provision that I have found for ordering college support.

Therefore, it's a waste of your time and efforts, IMHO. It's not going to be ordered.
my income is decent. can i still request for child support? my goal is to have him pay for child support so i can put the $ in the childrens savings.

LdiJ

TX state
That is the kind of thing that a judge won't order. Two parents can agree to that and a judge will sign off on the agreement, but a judge won't order it if one of the parents objects.

Therefore, it honestly would be pointless to go back to court for that.

However, if he makes more money than you do, then you could get it changed so that he is required to pay some child support, and then you could put that support away in a college fund. Keep in mind though, that it may make your situation less amicable than it is now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">