• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Request to establish paternity... DENIED!!!! Unethical Court Commissioner!!! HELP.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasR

Here's where your argument falls apart. Whether it was your sperm or not, you engaged in an act, the potential consequences of which include becoming a parent. Whether you understood those consequences properly or not, you still chose to engage in the act.

Same with signing the AOP at birth. I know there's a portion explaining that you are declaring yourself LEGALLY to be the father of the child and accept the rights and responsibilities that go along with that. Again, whether you properly understood what that meant or not, you chose to engage in the act of signing it.

Now, I tend to agree that 16 year olds have no concept of what it means to have a child and be a parent forever and ever. That doesn't stop them from having sex every day, and reproducing at a frightening rate. The fact that their minors does not negate the consequences of those choice and actions.

You had TWO YEARS during which you could have disputed the affidavit that you signed. Again, you chose not to, and in making that choice/engaging in that act of avoidance, you chose to forever be this child's parent.

Not knowing that the choices you make will result in life altering and long ranging effects doesn't get you off the hook.

CJane,

Thank you. I will go back and research the content of the AOP. But what no one has yet to tell me is why, if there is doubt as to whether this child is biologically mine, am I not entitled to establish paternity regardless of whether or not I am 'on the hook' as some of you have put it?

Seems to me that if I am indeed 'on the hook', regardless, what is the harm in establishing paternity? If I am the biological father of a child, I will indeed support that child.

However, when there is a huge question mark as to whether that is true, and since I have no relationship with the child and the child refers to the mothers illegal alien, convicted felon and once deported criminal boyfriend as 'daddy', with her consent, it seems to me that establishing paternity would be wise in this case. Especially since the illegal alien and the mother now have a child of their own together (biologically).

Proserpina

CJane,

Thank you. I will go back and research the content of the AOP. But what no one has yet to tell me is why, if there is doubt as to whether this child is biologically mine, am I not entitled to establish paternity regardless of whether or not I am 'on the hook' as some of you have put it?

That's the point, Thomas - paternity IS established. You are, in the eyes of the law, this child's LEGAL father. The law did indeed entitle you to establish or disestablish paternity afterwards provided you did so within the time frame; if you miss the boat - so to speak - the only person to blame is yourself, y'know?
Seems to me that if I am indeed 'on the hook', regardless, what is the harm in establishing paternity? If I am the biological father of a child, I will indeed support that child.
You're going to be supporting the child anyway - you are the legal father. That's all that matters.

However, when there is a huge question mark as to whether that is true, and since I have no relationship with the child and the child refers to the mothers illegal alien, convicted felon and once deported criminal boyfriend as 'daddy', with her consent, it seems to me that establishing paternity would be wise in this case. Especially since the illegal alien and the mother now have a child of their own together (biologically).
Thomas - please, for the umpteenth time - you no longer have any legal standing to disestablish (or establish for that matter) paternity. You cannot compel your ex-girlfriend to agree and you cannot compel the court to make an order contrary to law (which is what you would effectively be asking them to do). If you would like to establish a relationship with your child you are absolutely entitled to petition the courts for visitation.

ajkroy

It seems that the OP fails to realize that even if the DNA test proves him not to be the biological father, he will STILL be "on the hook" for child support because he is the legal father.

If you aren't planning to be in the child's life anyway...does it even matter if you aren't related biologically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">