• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requesting child support increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

movingonil

What is the name of your state? il

Hello everyone. I just stumbled across this site and thought I would give it a try. My ex and I have been divorced for almost two years. We have one child together, 10 year old little boy. I am recently remarried and planning on having another child. My ex doesn't know but I plan on not working once I have another child. My question is I want to go back for more child support because I know he makes 10K more now then when we divorced. Since my current spouse makes a fairly decent income, I can afford to stay home when we have a baby. I am worried that if I do not go for the increase now, i may not get it due to my new spouses income. Please let me know if anyone has any advice.

movingonil said:
What is the name of your state? il

Hello everyone. I just stumbled across this site and thought I would give it a try. My ex and I have been divorced for almost two years. We have one child together, 10 year old little boy. I am recently remarried and planning on having another child. My ex doesn't know but I plan on not working once I have another child. My question is I want to go back for more child support because I know he makes 10K more now then when we divorced. Since my current spouse makes a fairly decent income, I can afford to stay home when we have a baby. I am worried that if I do not go for the increase now, i may not get it due to my new spouses income. Please let me know if anyone has any advice.
Your new spouse has nothing to do with child support calculations...In Illinois neither does yours it is only based on the NCP's income...Good Luck!

movingonil

Thanks. I have read recently that the only way you can get an increase is if there's special changes or I believe the wording was change in circumstance. Is this true?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
movingonil said:
Thanks. I have read recently that the only way you can get an increase is if there's special changes or I believe the wording was change in circumstance. Is this true?
usually child support can be recalculated every so many years. In Ohio it is three years -- without a change in circumstances. A change in circumstances COULD be a large change in income for the NCP.

movingonil

Do you know how I would find that out? I was told by my ex, that since I live so comfortably with my new husband (bigger house, just got a new car) that it would be impossible for me to prove to a judge that I would need more support. He also told me that they don't base increases on a standard 20%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">