• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

responsable for a child i didnt adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phil66

What is the name of your state? massachusetts wld i be responsable for child support on a child that an ex girlfriend who i use to live with adopted at the time we were together [her nephew thru social services]he was a new born at the time and we seperated 4 yrs later .now the child is 8 and i have been still in his life to try and do the right thing and at least give him a fatherly figure .But now she is claiming she can prob get me for child support since ive stayed active in his life .Even though i have no legal rights over him and never sighned any adoptive papers or any agreement claiming i wld support him .Hope i havent gone from mr good guy to big schmuck

BelizeBreeze

phil66 said:
What is the name of your state? massachusetts wld i be responsable for child support on a child that an ex girlfriend who i use to live with adopted at the time we were together [her nephew thru social services]he was a new born at the time and we seperated 4 yrs later .now the child is 8 and i have been still in his life to try and do the right thing and at least give him a fatherly figure .But now she is claiming she can prob get me for child support since ive stayed active in his life .Even though i have no legal rights over him and never sighned any adoptive papers or any agreement claiming i wld support him .Hope i havent gone from mr good guy to big schmuck
You've been a big schmuck....

But, legally, your girlfriend would have to show to the court that not only did you accept this into your home but also treated the child and presented the child to the general public as your own.

nextwife

She ACCEPTED "single parenthood" by being a single adoptive parent.

Single adoptive parents DON"T get CS unless they marry and their spouse chooses to adopt. She KNEW the score and agreed to be a single adoptive parent. I know many of them, and being a sole adoptor mean one accepts the entire financial responsibility. Sole adoptors DON"T get CS for their adoptive kids!

phil66

well beliz i seem to think nextwife seem a little more on target.According to what u said then anybody who wld take in a child that is not theres but raised as there own and has no legal rights to wld be liable to pay child support if that couple split ..and i know from reading other legal questions that couples that marry and have stepchildren unless the children get adopted by the new spouse is not responable for child support no matter how they are presented or raised

BelizeBreeze

phil66 said:
well beliz i seem to think nextwife seem a little more on target.According to what u said then anybody who wld take in a child that is not theres but raised as there own and has no legal rights to wld be liable to pay child support if that couple split ..and i know from reading other legal questions that couples that marry and have stepchildren unless the children get adopted by the new spouse is not responable for child support no matter how they are presented or raised
What you "THINK" and what case law dictates are two different things.

I would strongly suggest you go to law school.

rmet4nzkx

phil66 said:
This could go either way depending on the facts and how they are argued. The fact that you lived together during the first 4 years of this child's life and remained in their life since makes you what is called a defacto or psychological parent, so a court could consider all the facts and possibly order you to pay some child support but at the same time you would also have the right to petition the court for visitation rights. In this case, your ex adpoted a relatives child when all that was necessary was for her to become their legal guardian, then they would have been entitled to child support from the parents. Surly, this significant decision was made after researching all the implications and not on an emotional basis? IN the end, it is the best interest of the child that rules. Here is a link re unmarried parents and adoption so you can understand the concepts that affect your case. http://www.law.cornell.edu/nyctap/comments/i95_0241.htm

BelizeBreeze

FURTHERMORE:

While you're enrolling in law school, I suggest you read up on the following:

equitable doctrine of estoppel.
A.R. v. C.R., 411 Mass. 570 (1992),
Liebson v. Liebson, 412 Mass. 431 (1992),
K.B. v. D.B., et al., 37 Mass. App. Ct. 265 (1994)

rmet4nzkx

BelizeBreeze said:
FURTHERMORE:

While you're enrolling in law school, I suggest you read up on the following:

equitable doctrine of estoppel.
A.R. v. C.R., 411 Mass. 570 (1992),
Liebson v. Liebson, 412 Mass. 431 (1992),
K.B. v. D.B., et al., 37 Mass. App. Ct. 265 (1994)
Don't ya just LOVE estoppel:D

BelizeBreeze

rmet4nzkx said:
Don't ya just LOVE estoppel:D
What I love more is people coming here to ask a legal question, getting the correct answer then pissing all over the person who gives it.

Well, I'm sure there is a law school somewhere in massachusetts :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">