• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retired Veterans Dependent Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knl4ever

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am trying to find out what benefits, if any, my 18 yr old daughter, who is a full-time college student, and is not receiving any compensation from her father, is entitled from her father who has recently retired from the Air Force... Please advise

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am trying to find out what benefits, if any, my 18 yr old daughter, who is a full-time college student, and is not receiving any compensation from her father, is entitled from her father who has recently retired from the Air Force... Please advise
Why would she be entitled to benefits? Do you know ANY kids who are entitled to money from their parents' retirement?

Your daughter needs to get a job.

BL

I have heard of college students being able to attend under their parent's prior military service .

The daughter needs to be talking to the college financial office rep. about it.

Antigone*

I have heard of college students being able to attend under their parent's prior military service .

The daughter needs to be talking to the college financial office rep. about it.
That would be from the school though BL, it wouldn't be cash from dad though.

Why mom thinks the daughter is entitled to any type of compensation from dad at this point is beyond me.:confused:

BL

That would be from the school though BL, it wouldn't be cash from dad though.

Why mom thinks the daughter is entitled to any type of compensation from dad at this point is beyond me.:confused:
I don't know either .

Unless the daughter earned a full scholarship, Mom and daughter should feel lucky and greatful to have the financial help out of Dad's military service.

Tex78704

That's nice, but Dad is retired, not dead.
It also includes veterans with some types of service related disabilities. Point here is that unless dad falls under one of the categories listed, it is unlikely his child will receive any educational assistance as a result of his military service.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

It also includes veterans with some types of service related disabilities. Point here is that unless dad falls under one of the categories listed, it is unlikely the child will receive any educational assistance.
Actually, there is no point. NO WHERE in the OP's post did they indicate that there was ANY type of disability involved... just that he retired. That's it. That's all.

CJane

Actually, there is no point. NO WHERE in the OP's post did they indicate that there was ANY type of disability involved... just that he retired. That's it. That's all.
And while Dad likely CAN assign his GI Bill benefits (if any) to his child, he is certainly not OBLIGATED to, and I cannot imagine a court EVER ordering someone to.

CourtClerk

And while Dad likely CAN assign his GI Bill benefits (if any) to his child, he is certainly not OBLIGATED to, and I cannot imagine a court EVER ordering someone to.
I don't believe TX even has a provision for post secondary support...

The court wouldn't even have jurisdiction to rule as the "child" is now an adult.

Antigone*

It also includes veterans with some types of service related disabilities. Point here is that unless dad falls under one of the categories listed, it is unlikely his child will receive any educational assistance as a result of his military service.
His child is an adult:rolleyes:

CJane

I don't believe TX even has a provision for post secondary support...

The court wouldn't even have jurisdiction to rule as the "child" is now an adult.
I agree completely (obviously)... just pointing out that even IF the child was still under jurisdiction of the court, there is no way I can foresee a court ordering Dad to sign over his GI Bill to the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">