• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retroactive child support in missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThePatriot81

Well the mom had another guys name on the birth cert for 5 years. I have been paying child support for almost 3 years after dna test was done and paternity was established. Her lawyer is threatening me with 25000 retroactive support now because i am trying to get more visitations and rights. After this long is it legal to do this...inlcuding with their being another guy being legally responsible for the first 5 years???

Proserpina

Well the mom had another guys name on the birth cert for 5 years. I have been paying child support for almost 3 years after dna test was done and paternity was established. Her lawyer is threatening me with 25000 retroactive support now because i am trying to get more visitations and rights. After this long is it legal to do this...inlcuding with their being another guy being legally responsible for the first 5 years???
Paternity was established 3 years ago and you've been paying court-ordered child support since then - correct?

Read here: http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/45200003401.html

ThePatriot81

I guess i just dont understand how she can wait 5 years to get me for retroactive child support while having another man write his name on the birth cert. Play daddy and take care of the child and then once their engagement ends she decides she wants to DNA test him and finds out it isnt his. Do you think a judge will award her retro support after all those circumstances?

Proserpina

One quick question.

When you say "threatening", can you clarify a bit please? I'm going somewhere specific with this.

ThePatriot81

She would have never brought retro up...only reason she is cause she doesnt want to share her child and now im intruding in her happy little marriage and routine so i can see my child more often

Proserpina

Missouri allows for the court to order retro child support, yes - but it must be requested in the initial filing. You were ordered to pay child support 3 years ago, and you're paying; if Mom wanted retro, she should have asked for it then.

So, continue with your efforts to see your child and be a significant part of his/her life and let Mom stew. If you actually get served, come back and let us know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">