• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SC Child support $22,000 behind... Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shannonrollins8

South Carolina

My Ex-Husband and I were divorced in 2009. He was court ordered at the time to pay 101 wkly for 3 minor children. He has fallen severely behind and now they are wanting to take his license. In normal circumstances I would understand this. But, He gets the children every weekend, spends time with them and tries to get them what they need when he can. He has just recently got a job, not high paying, but it is a job. He used to be into trouble a lot. But in the past few years he has grown up and changed a lot. We were married at 18. He is actually trying to be the daddy he should be. I have tried to get the order dropped before, but they tried to lock me up on contempt myself. We would like to change our custody to joint. As of right now I still have full custody. What can we do to get this support lessened if not dropped, and change our custody agreement. Neither of us have that much money. If they take his license he will lose his job, which requires him to drive vehicles on the lot and to and from the other company locations. Someone please give me some advice. Any will be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

South Carolina

My Ex-Husband and I were divorced in 2009. He was court ordered at the time to pay 101 wkly for 3 minor children. He has fallen severely behind and now they are wanting to take his license. In normal circumstances I would understand this. But, He gets the children every weekend, spends time with them and tries to get them what they need when he can. He has just recently got a job, not high paying, but it is a job. He used to be into trouble a lot. But in the past few years he has grown up and changed a lot. We were married at 18. He is actually trying to be the daddy he should be. I have tried to get the order dropped before, but they tried to lock me up on contempt myself. We would like to change our custody to joint. As of right now I still have full custody. What can we do to get this support lessened if not dropped, and change our custody agreement. Neither of us have that much money. If they take his license he will lose his job, which requires him to drive vehicles on the lot and to and from the other company locations. Someone please give me some advice. Any will be greatly appreciated.
Are you receiving any state benefits? Medicaid for the kids, food stamps, Tanif, Section 8? If so, there is virtually nothing you can do to help him. If you are receiving no state benefits and never have, you could possibly waive the arrears.

shannonrollins8

Are you receiving any state benefits? Medicaid for the kids, food stamps, Tanif, Section 8? If so, there is virtually nothing you can do to help him. If you are receiving no state benefits and never have, you could possibly waive the arrears.

We do receive food stamps and the children receive Medicaid. So How could we change to joint custody?

justalayman

South Carolina

My Ex-Husband and I were divorced in 2009. He was court ordered at the time to pay 101 wkly for 3 minor children. d.

22,000/101=217.821/52=4.188

just grabbing a date in the middle of 2009, let's say, Jun 11. That would mean he has been required to pay child support for 5 years. He has not paid 4.188 years of child support. That means he has paid less than 20% of what he owed, or on average, less than $20 per week.

That is not merely getting behind. That is a flagrant refusal to pay what is owed. Especially since the state is likely to be taking anything he pays or will pay, I don't see any salvation for him.

and I knew a guy that got tossed into jail for owning less than half that and to get out he had to pay $2400.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">