• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SC child support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pitfall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

Hello. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I looked through other threads for my answer and got close to what I need to know but am still unsure.

In S.C., I understand that child support ends at 18 or upon high school graduation after age 18. No definite time frame is stated in the divorce decree. I currently pay on two children, One turns 18 soon and support should end. Do I need to submit paperwork for this to take effect and if so, where do I find it? I suspect I need to go back to court to recalculate the support I will need to pay for just one child. My ex wife is pretty reasonable, can we make our own agreement without getting the court involved? I pay child support to her directly and not through the clerk of court.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Sam

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

Hello. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I looked through other threads for my answer and got close to what I need to know but am still unsure.

In S.C., I understand that child support ends at 18 or upon high school graduation after age 18. No definite time frame is stated in the divorce decree. I currently pay on two children, One turns 18 soon and support should end. Do I need to submit paperwork for this to take effect and if so, where do I find it? I suspect I need to go back to court to recalculate the support I will need to pay for just one child. My ex wife is pretty reasonable, can we make our own agreement without getting the court involved? I pay child support to her directly and not through the clerk of court.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Sam
Before you do anything else, please find an online child support calculator for SC and run the numbers using your current income. I do not know how long you have been paying the amount that you are currently paying, but if your income has increased since that order was set, its possible that recalculated child support could result in you having to pay a higher amount for one, than you are paying for two. I have seen it happen to a lot of people.

One way or another you need the court involved, if for no other reason than to sign off on any agreement you have made, so that its official.

Pitfall

I did the online child support calculator. I plugged in the numbers I had from the original decree. My income has not changed but her income has increased. Running the old numbers, I would be paying about $110 a month less paying for one child. Since she makes even more now, I doubt I would have to pay more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">