• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared for my children.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MomOf2Dallas

What is the name of your state? Texas.

Briefly, this is my current situation:

My ex-husband and I have joint custody of our 2 children. They live with him. In the original divorce decree, it is stated that he provide health insurance for the children and that he assumes responsibility for paying the premiums. It states that I am responsible for 50% of expenses not covered by insurance.

In April of this year, through attorneys, we agreed upon and signed a Rule 11Agreement to modify a few items in the original decree: That he agree to a residency restriction, that he meet me at a halfway point between our residences for picking up/dropping off the children, and agree to phone visitation at specified times twice weekly. In return he requested a raise in child support and reimbursement for their insurance premiums. The problem is that he got a new job and has no insurance for the children. My son is being treated for ADHD and takes medication daily. He does not intend to take him to a doctor until the new insurance becomes effective in January. My son is now out of medication and has no physician managing his treatment. But I'm still paying for premium reimbursement each month. What can I do? I do not have insurance myself, it is not offered by my employer.

Thank you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
2 children. They live with him. In the original divorce decree, it is stated that he provide health insurance for the children and that he assumes responsibility for paying the premiums. It states that I am responsible for 50% of expenses not covered by insurance.
Please provide the exact wording of this portion of the order minus names. Thanks.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state? Texas.

Briefly, this is my current situation:

My ex-husband and I have joint custody of our 2 children. They live with him. In the original divorce decree, it is stated that he provide health insurance for the children and that he assumes responsibility for paying the premiums. It states that I am responsible for 50% of expenses not covered by insurance.

In April of this year, through attorneys, we agreed upon and signed a Rule 11Agreement to modify a few items in the original decree: That he agree to a residency restriction, that he meet me at a halfway point between our residences for picking up/dropping off the children, and agree to phone visitation at specified times twice weekly. In return he requested a raise in child support and reimbursement for their insurance premiums. The problem is that he got a new job and has no insurance for the children. My son is being treated for ADHD and takes medication daily. He does not intend to take him to a doctor until the new insurance becomes effective in January. My son is now out of medication and has no physician managing his treatment. But I'm still paying for premium reimbursement each month. What can I do? I do not have insurance myself, it is not offered by my employer.

Thank you.

If you have joint legal (decision-making) there's nothing stopping you from taking him to the doctor yourself and paying for his meds; while it's not the nicest compromise for you financially it would at least get kiddo back on his meds until the insurance kicks in.

Now, why are you scared exactly?

Actually it sounds more to me like if she takes him to the doctor, and refills his medicine, that the dad will paying 50%.

But more important than that single event, is finding new insurance, immediately. If there is a gap of 31 days, then (some) insurance policies can call the child's ADHD a uncovered pre-existing condition and not cover it once he does get new insurance.

OP, while its the other parent's obligation to provide insurance, it might be a very wise idea for you to do so sooner vs. later. Have you investigated if you can through your employment, or state program? Even if you have pay for the policy on your own, it could quickly cost less than uncovered doctors visits and prescriptions in the future due to his ADHD being classified as a pre-existing condition, let alone the off chance you child has a very expensive medical crisis before his father provides new insurance.

davidmcbeth3

Considering ADHD is a made up condition (made up by drug companies & the government to drug your kid), the father is doing the best for the kid (albeit by mistake).

You need to re-evaluate your child when he is off drugs & you'll notice that there is nothing wrong with him, other than being a kid.

Give him sugar pills if you feel the need to unnecessarily drug your own kid.

Just Blue

Considering ADHD is a made up condition (made up by drug companies & the government to drug your kid), the father is doing the best for the kid (albeit by mistake).

You need to re-evaluate your child when he is off drugs & you'll notice that there is nothing wrong with him, other than being a kid.

Please site the source that ADHD is a "made up condtion". Please also list your qualification in Neurology. Thanks.

Isis1

more blathering. really? i have four kids. only one is ADHD. he acts differently. socially, learning wise, and sensory. does all ADHD children need meds? maybe not. mine is doing fine so far without them. but it does NOT mean he's not ADHD.

so explain to me how the drug company is involved with the diagnosis of my child?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Please site the source
Pet peeve time...

FA is a web-site.
Eyes give you sight.
When you want to prove a point, you cite a source.

And, by the by... it IS a relevant point to make.

However, davey needs to shut the muffin.

stealth sitting back quietly now.

Just Blue

Pet peeve time...

FA is a web-site.
Eyes give you sight.
When you want to prove a point, you cite a source.

And, by the by... it IS a relevant point to make.

However, davey needs to shut the muffin.

stealth sitting back quietly now.
Thanks stealthy one!! Color me embarrassed...:eek:

Humusluvr

I woulda LOVED IT if my mom would have "tested" to see if I needed my insulin when I was a child. I'm SURE she's the most qualified to take me off my meds. Too bad I would have DIED.

Mom, get your kid to the doc. Pay out of pocket if necessary. Don't play games with your kid's health.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">