• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Screwed Up...Need to Fix This Mess. Done Playing the Idiot.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamashakesit

Minnesota / Arkansas

My child was born in Oregon. When she was a month old her and I moved back to MN. I was broke, living in a house I couldn't afford, I hadn't had a working vehicle in over 3 months (the engine blew up) and the father hadn't helped financially or emotionally, so I went back for my families help.

He ended up moving to Arkansas and getting a really good job. He convinced me he wanted to be part of the baby's life and pay half the expenses. He paid my first months rent and the deposit, since he owed me money for bailing him out of jail (let the groans begin but it gets way worse). Within less then a month, it was obvious he had no intentions of helping and I hated the place he had found me. I decided to move back to MN. When he found out, he came over, threatened he was going to file an ex parte case, saying he was going to take the baby away from me and declare me an unfit mother. He had loaned me a company laptop and dialed into it remotely and got into my email, Facebook, everything. He got my child support worker on the phone and told her that I was sitting right there and we were working out the case ourselves and I wanted to cancel. Out of fear of what he was threatening, I did. He scared the crap out of me, but it turned out all to be a big show. He even laughed about his acting ability later.

I left and went back to MN. Reactivated my CS case. While there, I tried really hard to find a job. I was pretty depressed and let down at this point and my dad and I weren't getting along. Never even got an interview call in MN...but I got a job I had applied for in Arkansas. My ex of course said nothing would make him happier if we'd move back there, he would never let us drown financially and would help with childcare. He helped me find a place and said he would help with anything over $600 if I couldn't make it so I could get a nice place. So I took the job and moved back down. Don't think I need to say much more...you probably already know what happened. He's not helping with daycare, diapers, food anything. And now that I'm back I'm just a "white trash, lazy, welfare, meal-ticket searching, piece of s**t."

I talked to a lawyer and realized I made a huge error...I thought I would have to file CS in whatever state I was in. So before I left I cancelled my order. The first time I'd lived here, I didn't cancel because I figured nothing could go through with me living out of state and I hadn't gotten around to writing them the request (they didn't like that very much; learned my lesson). It will take 6 months just for Arkansas to establish jurisdiction. So will MN let me open my case back up? They were getting very close to getting an order. To have to start all over would be devastating. I have nearly drained my savings account paying for daycare and all my expenses on my own. I don't know how long I can make it. Sorry this is so long.

mistoffolees

Minnesota / Arkansas

My child was born in Oregon. When she was a month old her and I moved back to MN. I was broke, living in a house I couldn't afford, I hadn't had a working vehicle in over 3 months (the engine blew up) and the father hadn't helped financially or emotionally, so I went back for my families help.

He ended up moving to Arkansas and getting a really good job. He convinced me he wanted to be part of the baby's life and pay half the expenses. He paid my first months rent and the deposit, since he owed me money for bailing him out of jail (let the groans begin but it gets way worse). Within less then a month, it was obvious he had no intentions of helping and I hated the place he had found me. I decided to move back to MN. When he found out, he came over, threatened he was going to file an ex parte case, saying he was going to take the baby away from me and declare me an unfit mother. He had loaned me a company laptop and dialed into it remotely and got into my email, Facebook, everything. He got my child support worker on the phone and told her that I was sitting right there and we were working out the case ourselves and I wanted to cancel. Out of fear of what he was threatening, I did. He scared the crap out of me, but it turned out all to be a big show. He even laughed about his acting ability later.

I left and went back to MN. Reactivated my CS case. While there, I tried really hard to find a job. I was pretty depressed and let down at this point and my dad and I weren't getting along. Never even got an interview call in MN...but I got a job I had applied for in Arkansas. My ex of course said nothing would make him happier if we'd move back there, he would never let us drown financially and would help with childcare. He helped me find a place and said he would help with anything over $600 if I couldn't make it so I could get a nice place. So I took the job and moved back down. Don't think I need to say much more...you probably already know what happened. He's not helping with daycare, diapers, food anything. And now that I'm back I'm just a "white trash, lazy, welfare, meal-ticket searching, piece of s**t."

I talked to a lawyer and realized I made a huge error...I thought I would have to file CS in whatever state I was in. So before I left I cancelled my order. The first time I'd lived here, I didn't cancel because I figured nothing could go through with me living out of state and I hadn't gotten around to writing them the request (they didn't like that very much; learned my lesson). It will take 6 months just for Arkansas to establish jurisdiction. So will MN let me open my case back up? They were getting very close to getting an order. To have to start all over would be devastating. I have nearly drained my savings account paying for daycare and all my expenses on my own. I don't know how long I can make it. Sorry this is so long.
I think you already know the answer.

You need to decide where you're going to live, get a job and stay there. Once you've lived there long enough for jurisdiction, file for child support and don't let ex bully you.

mamashakesit

Well, I'm planning to stay here for now. I have a year lease, the job is actually going quite well and has been very good for me. I am hoping since jurisdiction is still technically in MN, I can reopen my case and they can pick up where we left off.

Do you know if that is a possibility?

As I already have nearly 2 months under my belt and have moved 4 times already...I would rather just wait it out if I have to. In 6 months or so, I will start an intense job search and leave when an order is established.

mistoffolees

Well, I'm planning to stay here for now. I have a year lease, the job is actually going quite well and has been very good for me. I am hoping since jurisdiction is still technically in MN, I can reopen my case and they can pick up where we left off.

Do you know if that is a possibility?
Probably not. They are not going to open a case for you when you don't live in the state.

However, contact your child support enforcement agency to ask how long you must be in the state to open a case. It's 6 months for a state to have jurisdiction over custody, but it might be less for them to be able to open a child support case.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Probably not. They are not going to open a case for you when you don't live in the state.

However, contact your child support enforcement agency to ask how long you must be in the state to open a case. It's 6 months for a state to have jurisdiction over custody, but it might be less for them to be able to open a child support case.
Not quite. If the child does NOT have a home state -- which this child doesn't -- and there are NO CUSTODY ORDERS anywhere, then it is possible for her to open a custody case before six months has elapsed. Part of the UCCJEA.

mistoffolees

Not quite. If the child does NOT have a home state -- which this child doesn't -- and there are NO CUSTODY ORDERS anywhere, then it is possible for her to open a custody case before six months has elapsed. Part of the UCCJEA.
OK. That's the kind of thing I was trying to get to when I said it might be possible to open a child support case in less time than the 6 months it would take to establish residency for custody purposes.

So she could file in her current state now? Or is there still a waiting period?

OHRoadwarrior

And now that I'm back I'm just a "white trash, lazy, welfare, meal-ticket searching, piece of s**t.
It sounds like you have made the decision to change that. Keep at it and don't drop your goals. You owe it to your child.:)

mamashakesit

Thank you for all your help! I'm going to plug away, try my best not to let his insults get to me and try to get everything retroactive back to when I first filed at the beginning of the year. He can't run forever (although he's gonna be damn good at eluding CS) And I will never, ever, EVER believe a word of his BS again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OK. That's the kind of thing I was trying to get to when I said it might be possible to open a child support case in less time than the 6 months it would take to establish residency for custody purposes.

So she could file in her current state now? Or is there still a waiting period?
Haven't looked but the waiting period would be whatever it is the STATE requires before filing a lawsuit.

CJane

OP, if there are no orders in place for custody/visitation, the easiest way to ignore his threats would be to cease all contact with him.

mamashakesit

It shouldn't be too hard to do...I don't think I'll hear from him until he gets served. He wants me to disappear. I'm in a very angry spot with him right now. Been sad for a long time and have allowed myself to get duped, so the hardest thing is staying level-headed enough to not contact him to call him on his lies about having no home and no money to help pay daycare. I have concrete proof it's not true and his friends are telling me he's spending cash like it's going out of style. So if I keep my anger in tact over that, I should have no issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">