• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self employed dad-track income??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kadesmom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My son's father has paid child support....started out at $100 a month and now
we are up to $200 a month. He is self-employed. He shows that he only makes
$100 a week. Our child support is not court ordered, but quite frankly I am sick
of him not being a father...nor footing the bill. He has two homes and 4 vehicles
(two of which are brand new). He is good at hiding his money b/c when he was
trying to divorce his current wife, he withdrew the money and gave it to his mother for safe keeping. I am trying to protect the best interest of my son, and
want to get what he legally deserves. Does anyone know what methods they use to track a self employed person with a large cash business?

LdiJ

kadesmom said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My son's father has paid child support....started out at $100 a month and now
we are up to $200 a month. He is self-employed. He shows that he only makes
$100 a week. Our child support is not court ordered, but quite frankly I am sick
of him not being a father...nor footing the bill. He has two homes and 4 vehicles
(two of which are brand new). He is good at hiding his money b/c when he was
trying to divorce his current wife, he withdrew the money and gave it to his mother for safe keeping. I am trying to protect the best interest of my son, and
want to get what he legally deserves. Does anyone know what methods they use to track a self employed person with a large cash business?
The preferred method is to supeona their books and have an accountant go over them with a fine tooth comb. That usually gets them to settle the case pretty quickly, because that is the one thing that they do not want. They don't want their books being scrutinized by outsiders.

haiku

you want to see a financial affadavit, listing thier debt to asset ratio. (standard for everyone in court) ALL bank statements on ALL accounts for the past few years. IRS returns for the past 3 years, all 1099's for the past 3 years, if any. And a current profit and loss statement for the business.

At least.

ksyglowski

Listen to LdiJ and !!!
Get court ordered support! He will only get more creative as time goes on. You are cheating your child by night getting the appropriate support.

Not So Quick

OP, while you might be sick of the biodad not supporting the child, there's equal blame here. If anything, a little more falls back on you.

He's not legally obligated to support his kids in any way. Why? Because you've failed to file for child support. Granted, since he's self-employed, it could be a little more difficult to actually know -- or prove -- how much he's making and what he has, but I believe most states have a formula that factors in self-employed. Plus, he might also be asked to produce W-2 from his last job and they might factor an amount from that.

But, you need to file for CS if you want the support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">