• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self Employment Income and Voluntarily Leaving Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arosenth

What is the name of your state (Colorado)

In 2010 my Ex got a job making 85k. Although he has been delaying providing me with actual W2's, I believe that he was making roughly 95K based off of his tax returns until he voluntarily left his job at the very end of 2013 to start his own business. I make roughly 85k as well.

Over the last two years, his custody has increased from 42% to 50% and he thus wants child support modified to reflect that, which I am good with.

However, because he know owns his own business, he is claiming $1250 a month in salary, plus $469 in car payment allowance (he drives a 65k car) and $410 in health insurance for a total monthly amount of $2250. I have seen his business financials and a lot of it seems like some very fancy accounting. Where it gets even more complicated is that his wife makes roughly 200k a year and so he is claiming that the reason that he lives the extravagant way that he does is all due to her income. Which in some ways may be true, but I also don't buy what he is claiming for income as his parent owned their own business, and taking cash out was the name of the game.

The way that I would ultimately like to see this play out, is that since before he quit his job our salaries were roughly the same. Therefore we could agree to no child support either direction and to split costs equally between us as that is what is earning potential/capacity is/was? Or will his current salary play a role?

I feel that I could prove his salary a bit higher- but unless are salaries are equal I would be paying him child support which out of principle keeps me awake at night.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">