• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

self-support reserve

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtmoore77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ME

I was in court in January, seeking a child support order. The defendant did not appear, was imputed at full time minimum wage, ordered $76.44 per week with an immediate income withholding order.
Defendant has now retained a volunteer lawyer, who objects on the grounds of the imputing of minimum wage, which would put her at $15000 per year (same calculation the magistrate had) would put her below the self-support reserve mark. The magistrate made no mention in court of her making the self support reserve mark, and Maine support enforcement and recovery has the self support reserve mark, in their tables, at $11,400 based on her income and two children under age 11.
Now-If the magistrate didn't put her below the mark, and the state of Maine claims the mark is well below $15,000, is there a chance there is any legitimacy to this, or is this just a case of the defendant reaching for anything she can possibly get? I am confused.....:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">