• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

self support reserve

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marfo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

In NY, the Self Support Reserve clause is written somewhat vaguely, in my opinion. It states that the Self Support Reserve is "135% of the Poverty Income Guideline for a single person". It makes no mention of a re-married non-custodial parent that now has a family (spouce/additional children) that lives with them. For example, does the Self Support Reserve increase based on current household size of the non-custodial parent, or is it always based on the "single person" Poverty Income Guideline? Any help with the interpretation of this, based on current household size of the non-custodial parent, if any, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

In NY, the Self Support Reserve clause is written somewhat vaguely, in my opinion. It states that the Self Support Reserve is "135% of the Poverty Income Guideline for a single person". It makes no mention of a re-married non-custodial parent that now has a family (spouce/additional children) that lives with them. For example, does the Self Support Reserve increase based on current household size of the non-custodial parent, or is it always based on the "single person" Poverty Income Guideline? Any help with the interpretation of this, based on current household size of the non-custodial parent, if any, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
cssa WORKSHEET. New York Divorce and Family Law, the definitive site about divorce, child support and custody.
(i) Calculation of Income of The Non-Custodial Parent
Gross (total) income as should have been
or should be reported on "most recent"
federal tax return
(individual income only) $ _______

marfo

Thanks for the help you guys, but I am going to try to lay this out a little differently, it may be a little easier to understand what I am asking... The US Dept. of Health and Human Services sets "Poverty Guidelines" every year. The Self Support Reserve uses the amount(s) listed a baseline, from what I can tell. So, in an attempt to clarify my original scenario... Is the Self Support Reserve of the non-custodial parent, who has a current household of 5 members, set at 135% of $27,010, as listed as the Poverty Guideline on the Health and Human Services website for 2012 for a family of 5? I am new here and I really do appreciate the help. Thanks again you guys... :)

Poverty Guidelines - Federal

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Thanks for the help you guys, but I am going to try to lay this out a little differently, it may be a little easier to understand what I am asking... The US Dept. of Health and Human Services sets "Poverty Guidelines" every year. The Self Support Reserve uses the amount(s) listed a baseline, from what I can tell. So, in an attempt to clarify my original scenario... Is the Self Support Reserve of the non-custodial parent, who has a current household of 5 members, set at 135% of $27,010, as listed as the Poverty Guideline on the Health and Human Services website for 2012 for a family of 5? I am new here and I really do appreciate the help. Thanks again you guys... :)

Poverty Guidelines - Federal
The law only says A SINGLE PERSON. So, no, your family of 5 is not going to get your CS numbers down. :cool:

(6) "Self-support reserve" shall mean one hundred thirty-five percent
of the poverty income guidelines amount for a single person
as reported
by the federal department of health and human services. For the calendar
year nineteen hundred eighty-nine, the self-support reserve shall be
eight thousand sixty-five dollars. On March first of each year, the
self-support reserve shall be revised to reflect the annual updating of
the poverty income guidelines as reported by the federal department of
health and human services for a single person household.
N.Y. FCT. LAW § 413 : NY Code - Section 413: Parents' duty to support child

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">