• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

set aside voluntary declaration of paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Diane

State= Oklahoma
As a teen my son believed himself to be the father of a child with his ex girlfriend and signed the birth certificate. He was never allowed to see the child so he filed for vistation. During this court hearing in 1998, the mother's attorney wanted visitation denied because they no longer felt my son was the father, yet, they had refused a DNA test before court. In spite of this, the court set visitation and child support which he began to pay but they would never let him see the child. The girl sent him a message thru friends(not in writing)that he was not the father and she was moving with the child out of state. He had just joined the military and wound up being in boot camp for over a year.(kept breaking his foot). He came back, tried to find them....no luck and stupidly went on with his life. They are now back and wanting back child support ect. They did not use the word "biological" father in the documents so they are filing on the birth certificate sig. Plus, the grandmother is filing and it does not show that she has legal custody. If he is the father, he will pay. But, there is now reasonable doubt. How does he file to set aside the voluntary declaration of paternity and get the court to order DNA tests before he is ordered to pay? He just went back to college after Irag and New Orleans duty and has only the $$ that a college student has. We are trying to find a sliding scale attorney because his hearing is March 31. I would just appreciate a little more info on what procedure and forms to amend the declaration in Oklahoma courts.
Thank you very much for any help
Diane

Kane

In some states, it's impossible to challenge an acknowlegment of paternity unless it's done almost immediately after it's made. In others, it's merely difficult.

In either case, if there's an order for child support, he needs to follow it, unless or until he gets the order changed, because the state can and will arrest him and put him in jail if he does not.

That she left the state, or failed to follow the orders herself, is not a defense.

I'd strongly encourage him to put aside some of his pay, and get a lawyer to help him with this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">