• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settling Arrears and adjustment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Iwanttoseemykid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Minnesota

First Question, My ex and I agreed to a settlement amount and she stated once i give her the amount she will send the paperwork to drop the child support that is in arrears. How do I protect myself so she does not take the lump sum and not drop the back child support?

Second Question, The last several months I have been unemployed, do I need to go to court to adjust child support payments? ( I am currently not in the state where the child support order is currently.)

Third Question, Is it possible to change the child support order to a different state, neither my ex or myself live in Minnesota anymore.

Proserpina

Minnesota

First Question, My ex and I agreed to a settlement amount and she stated once i give her the amount she will send the paperwork to drop the child support that is in arrears. How do I protect myself so she does not take the lump sum and not drop the back child support?

Get it filed with the court.

Second Question, The last several months I have been unemployed, do I need to go to court to adjust child support payments? ( I am currently not in the state where the child support order is currently.)

Yes - they're not going to do it automatically for you.

Third Question, Is it possible to change the child support order to a different state, neither my ex or myself live in Minnesota anymore.

You can get the order domesticated elsewhere yes - but you'll still be following MN guidelines.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Minnesota

Child support enforcement works across state lines. The longer you don't pay, the higher the arrears.

Was your ex on state aid in MN? If so, she cannot sign away the arrearages, as that money is owed to the taxpayers of MN, not your ex.

If she was not on state aid, I'd suggest going through the court system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">