• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Custody Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gratitude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Hello, I am a single mother with a 5 yr old daughter. My ex and I have shared custody and spend equal amounts of time with her, split custodial and physical. For the last year I have been struggling financially due to the decline in construction (I worked in lighting) and now I am receiving little to no income. In September I started receiving public assistance and now we may have to move in with my mother.

Recently I found out that even though we have shared custody, I am still entitled to child support. How does this work? I only want what's right and fair for my daughter; nothing more, nothing less. Where do I start? I have no money for an attorney.

DAD10

File for CS, or if you and your EX are on good speaking terms-he may be able to assist you.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Hello, I am a single mother with a 5 yr old daughter. My ex and I have shared custody and spend equal amounts of time with her, split custodial and physical. For the last year I have been struggling financially due to the decline in construction (I worked in lighting) and now I am receiving little to no income. In September I started receiving public assistance and now we may have to move in with my mother.

Recently I found out that even though we have shared custody, I am still entitled to child support. How does this work? I only want what's right and fair for my daughter; nothing more, nothing less. Where do I start? I have no money for an attorney.

where did you hear this from? do you know how much dad makes? compared to how much you make?

if you have been receiving public assistance, then most likely, the state is already moving to collect child support from dad. is your daughter listed as part of your household?

DAD10

Yes court orders protect both parties-however if parties are on good terms then one could gift additional funds-it is not unheard of.

Last edited:

Proserpina

where did you hear this from? do you know how much dad makes? compared to how much you make?

if you have been receiving public assistance, then most likely, the state is already moving to collect child support from dad. is your daughter listed as part of your household?

Oh snap, I missed the "public assistance" part.

OP, the state will want to be repaid before you actually receive any monies. That's if you do get awarded support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">