+ Reply to Thread
    jamesm3663 is offline Junior Member

Shared custody child support?

Missouri

I have one child with my ex that I have shared custody with. Her income was extremely low on paper due to the fact she was a waitress. So I pay child support. I also care for her son from a previous relationship. He is several years older than my child. I have the two kids every other week and support both children's needs monetarily and emotionally. I have since remarried and have two children with my new wife. She is a stay at home mom and has no other children and no income. My ex has remarried a man who is very well off but she does not work. Is my situation any different? I feel we are equally taking care of the child and their household income is drastically larger than ours. I don't understand how this is not a wash.
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesm3663 View Post
    Missouri

I have one child with my ex that I have shared custody with. Her income was extremely low on paper due to the fact she was a waitress. So I pay child support. I also care for her son from a previous relationship. He is several years older than my child. I have the two kids every other week and support both children's needs monetarily and emotionally.

You are under no obligation whatsoever to support your ex-wife's other child. Where is the child's father?

I have since remarried and have two children with my new wife. She is a stay at home mom and has no other children and no income. My ex has remarried a man who is very well off but she does not work. Is my situation any different? I feel we are equally taking care of the child and their household income is drastically larger than ours. I don't understand how this is not a wash.

Her husband could be Bill Gates and it wouldn't affect your child support obligation, I'm afraid.
    Her other child is some other mans responsibility so not sure why you get visitation with him?

On the same note, your child with her is not her current husbands responsibility. Therefore only her income is taken in to account.

Your current wife may have to get a job if you can't meet the responsibility of your older son.

To answer your question, no, it's not a wash.
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesm3663 View Post
    Missouri

I have one child with my ex that I have shared custody with. Her income was extremely low on paper due to the fact she was a waitress. So I pay child support. I also care for her son from a previous relationship. He is several years older than my child. I have the two kids every other week and support both children's needs monetarily and emotionally. I have since remarried and have two children with my new wife. She is a stay at home mom and has no other children and no income. My ex has remarried a man who is very well off but she does not work. Is my situation any different? I feel we are equally taking care of the child and their household income is drastically larger than ours. I don't understand how this is not a wash.
    i commend you for taking the child that is not yours along with your child for visitation purposes. that's a stand up thing to do. my stepdad did it after he divorced my mom. makes him a saint in my eyes.

however, mom's husband's income has no bearing on the child support. it was ruled on mom's and your income what child support is. and your wife not working doesn't come into play here.

you get no credit for taking the extra child for visitation.

now, having said that, when was the last time child support has been reviewed? it is possible for mom to be inputted minimum wage for the time being.

and by the way, only because this is a pet peeve of mine for SAHM's....her income is YOUR incomes. please don't demean your wife by implicating she is of no financial value.
    Last edited by Isis1; 12-04-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    jamesm3663 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis1 View Post
    i commend you for taking the child that is not yours along with your child for visitation purposes. that's a stand up thing to do. my stepdad did it after he divorced my mom. makes him a saint in my eyes.

however, mom's husband's income has no bearing on the child support. it was ruled on mom's and your income what child support is. and your wife not working doesn't come into play here.

you get no credit for taking the extra child for visitation.

now, having said that, when was the last time child support has been reviewed? it is possible for mom to be inputted minimum wage for the time being.

and by the way, only because this is a pet peeve of mine for SAHM's....her income is YOUR incomes. please don't demean your wife by implicating she is of no financial value.
    It was not demeaning intent. Just covering the facts.