• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is she abusing CS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chopitall70

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I live in Florida. I pay my ex-wife $400/wk child support and $50/wk temp alimony (until she finishes school).
She is a full time student. She recieves financial aid for school, $600 +/- a month in EBT (food stamps), some kind of financial award from the state for having a 4.0 gpa, plus whatever is left over from school financial aid.
She also works under the table cleaning one house and one business for approximately $720/month.
Last month, she showed up with a breast augmentation. I asked her how she could afford to pay for it. She explained that the money she got from school financial aid and selling OUR car to me put the down payment on the boob job and that she got a health loan for the rest.

Is this abuse of child support or government social services??

Do I have any legal action that I can take here? Or is this an acceptable practice?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I live in Florida. I pay my ex-wife $400/wk child support and $50/wk temp alimony (until she finishes school).
She is a full time student. She recieves financial aid for school, $600 +/- a month in EBT (food stamps), some kind of financial award from the state for having a 4.0 gpa, plus whatever is left over from school financial aid.
She also works under the table cleaning one house and one business for approximately $720/month.
Last month, she showed up with a breast augmentation. I asked her how she could afford to pay for it. She explained that the money she got from school financial aid and selling OUR car to me put the down payment on the boob job and that she got a health loan for the rest.

Is this abuse of child support or government social services??

Do I have any legal action that I can take here? Or is this an acceptable practice?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

How many kids are involved?

There is actually a reason for my question.

Proserpina

She's not abusing child support, no - what she does with that is her business (as a rule).

If you're concerned about her defrauding the government you're absolutely free to report her under-the-table earnings (you have proof of this, right?), and everything else you think is wrong.

However...it's not going to change your obligation. So - what's your goal, here?

chopitall70

I have proof of the "under the table" money. My goal here is to see if there is any legal actions that can be taken. The state of FL dept of Revenue/child support is ELBOW deep into my financial affairs making sure that I pay every penny that is owed. I just thought that there might or should be some form of financial accountability on the part of the mother is child support cases.
I don't mind paying child support. They are my kids, I'm VERY active in their lives and I would do EVERYTHING for them. I just felt that she would and should be more responsible with THEIR money.
On a side note, I have been contemplating seeking temp custody of my kids while their mom is in school. She will be in school 40+ hours a week (8+ hours a day), then have to come home do at least 3-4 hours homework a night (all previous statements made by her). That does not leave a whole lot of parent time. I own an appliance repair biz that would allow me to be there for them while they are not in school and spend more time with them.
Can her questionable financial decisions be used against her in mediation/court, and do will I still have to pay child support while they live with me (if I get temp custody) for the two years she's in school?
I believe children should be with their mother, but if she's not going to be able to be there for them, then I feel it's the father's responsibility to do so.

LillianX

Florida is one of the few states that allows the NCP to request an accounting of how child support payments are spent. This must be requested through the court, and it's entirely up to the judge's discretion as to whether or not to require it. A brief search for case law shows that it doesn't commonly happen, and when it does, there's already some pretty solid proof that the child support money is not being spent to provide for the child.

I'm not sure that the mother attending school would qualify as a significant change in circumstances to warrant a modification. If she gets child care assistance, the child is already in day care. I assume the judge who awarded her primary custody was already aware that she was in/was going back to school when he awarded her custody, as you have stated that your alimony ends when she finishes school. So it doesn't sound like anything has actually changed.

I don't think you have grounds to change custody. If you have actual evidence of her under the table earnings, you can report them. At best, her income is $920 a month, plus whatever financial aid overages she gets. That's not a bunch of money.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When MY CS money comes in, I intend to purchase an airplane AND a new car.

Isis1

Florida is one of the few states that allows the NCP to request an accounting of how child support payments are spent. This must be requested through the court, and it's entirely up to the judge's discretion as to whether or not to require it. A brief search for case law shows that it doesn't commonly happen, and when it does, there's already some pretty solid proof that the child support money is not being spent to provide for the child.

I'm not sure that the mother attending school would qualify as a significant change in circumstances to warrant a modification. If she gets child care assistance, the child is already in day care. I assume the judge who awarded her primary custody was already aware that she was in/was going back to school when he awarded her custody, as you have stated that your alimony ends when she finishes school. So it doesn't sound like anything has actually changed.

I don't think you have grounds to change custody. If you have actual evidence of her under the table earnings, you can report them. At best, her income is $920 a month, plus whatever financial aid overages she gets. That's not a bunch of money.
and boob jobs are getting cheaper and cheaper. some doctors have payment plans. i'll be able to afford them myself when i'm 35. :D

commentator

You can call the social services department that gives out food coupons and report her for the "working under the table." There are places all over the internet to report food coupon fraud. You can send the department the proof you have of this. (Someone telling you something isn't really proof.)They may investigate your allegations. What they won't do is give you any feedback about what action they may or may not take based on this information you give them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">