• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I attend my grandma's funeral?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uncobribri

Hello my name is Bryan and I live in Texas. I'm a young man in high school and my grandmother recently passed. My parents are strict and they want me to come along with them all the way to California to attend the funeral. I wouldn't mind spending 2 days off to go to a funeral but unfortunately this is the time in my school year where everything goes fast and you have to keep up. Just missing 2 days of school could make me spend almost a week after school learning missed information and completing schoolwork. I want to be there and support my family, but school is important and I don't want to miss anything at all! I'm not sure what to do. My parents will probably force me to go, but they'll also be angry with me for staying after school to finish schoolwork. I really need some help on what to do? I have many options to stay somewhere for 2 days if that would be helpful. Please send back your feedback as soon as possible!

LdiJ

Hello my name is Bryan and I live in Texas. I'm a young man in high school and my grandmother recently passed. My parents are strict and they want me to come along with them all the way to California to attend the funeral. I wouldn't mind spending 2 days off to go to a funeral but unfortunately this is the time in my school year where everything goes fast and you have to keep up. Just missing 2 days of school could make me spend almost a week after school learning missed information and completing schoolwork. I want to be there and support my family, but school is important and I don't want to miss anything at all! I'm not sure what to do. My parents will probably force me to go, but they'll also be angry with me for staying after school to finish schoolwork. I really need some help on what to do? I have many options to stay somewhere for 2 days if that would be helpful. Please send back your feedback as soon as possible!
Have you had a serious discussion with your parents about the subject? I would find it difficult to believe that any parent would not realize that if you miss school, that you have to put in the time to make up the work. Is there more to this story?

uncobribri

Have you had a serious discussion with your parents about the subject? I would find it difficult to believe that any parent would not realize that if you miss school, that you have to put in the time to make up the work. Is there more to this story?
They just get really mad when I have to stay after school and not help around the house, even if its a good reason. My parents like getting straight to the point with me, but not with anyone else. I don't think either me or my parents would like having a serious discussion.

ecmst12

Your school should do whatever is necessary to make sure you get the work to make up while you are gone. A funeral is an acceptable reason to miss school. And of course it really isn't your decision; your parents say you go, then you go.

I am sorry for your loss.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Most teachers will provide you the work for the days you miss.

ETA... Not sure what this has to do with CS...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">