• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should my husband still pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

infinity1970

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hello, I'm trying to figure out something here. My husband has five children of the ages: 24, 22, 20, 13, & 8 years old. He pays child support for 4 of them about $400 a month. The 22 year old who will be 23 in Nov. is in College and is in her fifth year, due to her failing her first year. She had horrible grades her senior year in high school. She is not an asset to society. Should he still be paying on her? The 20 year old is in College in KY. and he has 50/50 custody of her but paid 100% child support on her, even though she lived with us 2 weeks every month. She did, however, move back in with her Mom before her senior year in high school because her car broke down and she couldn't make it to school from our house being in a different county. She was on my auto insurance for 2 years with nthe aggreement she would pay but failed to do so until her 2nd year on my insurance. Anyway, like I said before, she is now in College in KY. and after her first year of College was over, she moved in with one of her Mom's sisters along with her boyfriend. Should my husband still pay child support on her, even though she never came back to live with her Mom and moved in with an Aunt and her boyfriend and worked full time during the Summer? She also works during the school year at the College in order to remain there (Berea College, KY). Also, the Mother is driving without a license and has been pulled over in the last couple of years but nothing was done. We have reported her on numerous occasions in the past, but still nothing ever was done. Thanks for any help with these matters if there is anything that can be done. We have very little money but will gather some if my husband has a chance to have the child support lowered. Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Zephyr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hello, I'm trying to figure out something here. My husband has five children of the ages: 24, 22, 20, 13, & 8 years old. He pays child support for 4 of them about $400 a month. The 22 year old who will be 23 in Nov. is in College and is in her fifth year, due to her failing her first year. She had horrible grades her senior year in high school. She is not an asset to society. Should he still be paying on her?
That would depend on what time frame the court order specifies that he should pay support for her, and if he has arrears for her support.

The 20 year old is in College in KY. and he has 50/50 custody of her but paid 100% child support on her, even though she lived with us 2 weeks every month. She did, however, move back in with her Mom before her senior year in high school because her car broke down and she couldn't make it to school from our house being in a different county. She was on my auto insurance for 2 years with nthe aggreement she would pay but failed to do so until her 2nd year on my insurance. Anyway, like I said before, she is now in College in KY. and after her first year of College was over, she moved in with one of her Mom's sisters along with her boyfriend. Should my husband still pay child support on her, even though she never came back to live with her Mom and moved in with an Aunt and her boyfriend and worked full time during the Summer?
Again, depends on what the court order states and any arrears- none of the other stuff matters (car ins etc), but I think the fact that she is now living independently would be grounds to request child support stop.

Also, the Mother is driving without a license and has been pulled over in the last couple of years but nothing was done. We have reported her on numerous occasions in the past, but still nothing ever was done.
I don't know what this has to do with any of it, or what your question is regarding this.

LdiJ

Child support in Indiana goes to age 21 or emancipation, whichever comes first. A child who is in college is specifically NOT considered to be emancipated, even if they are living on campus or staying with a relative who lives close to their college.

If dad wants to run the numbers and see what he comes up with he can go to the official Indiana Child Support Calculator here:

https://secure.in.gov/judiciary/childsupport/calculator/support.pl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">