• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is signing a check like signing a contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

procraft

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
In my original court papers, I was ordered by the judge to pay $95.00 a week based on my wages at that time. Well, in 2000 I got laid off from my job and myself and my daughters mother had a verbal agreement that I could just start paying $95.00 biweekly instead of weekly. I have continues to pay the $95.00 biweekly ever since. I know that going with the verbal agreement was the stupidest thing I could have ever done, I was young and dumb that's for sure. My question is, if the mother ever tried coming after me for back support, could the checks that I have wrote out and that she signed be a type of agreement that she is accepting the $95.00 biweekly since that is what I wrote on every one of the checks? Any help would be much appreciated.

cyjeff

In my original court papers, I was ordered by the judge to pay $95.00 a week based on my wages at that time. Well, in 2000 I got laid off from my job and myself and my daughters mother had a verbal agreement that I could just start paying $95.00 biweekly instead of weekly. I have continues to pay the $95.00 biweekly ever since. I know that going with the verbal agreement was the stupidest thing I could have ever done, I was young and dumb that's for sure. My question is, if the mother ever tried coming after me for back support, could the checks that I have wrote out and that she signed be a type of agreement that she is accepting the $95.00 biweekly since that is what I wrote on every one of the checks? Any help would be much appreciated.
You are bound by the court order unless it has been changed to a new court order.

Therefore, you are on the hook for all the unpaid payments... plus any interest and/or late fees built into the court order.

Have you been out of work since 2000? If not, why didn't you start sending the proper amount again?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The checks are proof that you have only been paying 1/2 of what you should have been paying.

JETX

My question is, if the mother ever tried coming after me for back support, could the checks that I have wrote out and that she signed be a type of agreement that she is accepting the $95.00 biweekly since that is what I wrote on every one of the checks?
No. The endorsement does NOT waive your obligations under the court ORDER.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">