• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing release and satisfaction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Iowa
Child support for my husband ended almost one year ago, he paid everything he owes and the child support office released the wages garnishment order, but his ex refuses to sign the "Satisfaction of Judgement" papers that will release all liens placed against him. I know she legally has to, but what is our next step now that she has refused to sign? I figure we will have to take her to court but not sure how to go about it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

1234567 said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa
Child support for my husband ended almost one year ago, he paid everything he owes and the child support office released the wages garnishment order, but his ex refuses to sign the "Satisfaction of Judgement" papers that will release all liens placed against him. I know she legally has to, but what is our next step now that she has refused to sign? I figure we will have to take her to court but not sure how to go about it.

My response:

File a motion to compel satisfaction of the judgment.

Ask for costs.

IAAL

S

seniorjudge

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

File a motion to compel satisfaction of the judgment.

Ask for costs.

IAAL
And for lawyer's fees also.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

seniorjudge said:
And for lawyer's fees also.

My response:

You can't get attorney's fees, in most cases, because the original order is a "contract" between the two parties. So, unless there's a clause in the "contract", or a statute, that specifically allows for attorney's fees, then it's not going to happen.

IAAL

S

seniorjudge

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You can't get attorney's fees, in most cases, because the original order is a "contract" between the two parties. So, unless there's a clause in the "contract", or a statute, that specifically allows for attorney's fees, then it's not going to happen.

IAAL
Ask for the farm, settle for a cow.

Thanks for the responses. Her comment for not signing was simply that she doensn't think she should have to and quote, "I'm not going to". She has had to sign partial ones before when we have bought houses. My guess is she doesn't want to give up her power of control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">