• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some idea of what is coming.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

want2befair

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Me and my wife are filing for a divorce soon and I would like to know what I may pay in child support. We want to file as shared custody. As far as I know Alabama still requires one parent to be custodial and the other non-custodial. I will have our two children in my care two days a week plus every other weekend which works out to almost exactly 50%. I will actually have them a bit more than my wife when things are said and done. My gross pay is about 2300 a month and hers is about 1600 so I know I will have to pay some support even though I have equal time. I'm just wondering if there is any way to make it fair and balanced because from what I can tell I'm going to be flat broke if the guidelines are strictly followed. Any ideas/advice at all? :confused:

mistoffolees

Alabama has a child support calculator here:
Alabama Child Support Calculator - AllLaw.com

However, that's probably not very useful. Like many CS calculators, it assumes one parent has primary responsibility for the child.

You really have 2 choices:
1. Talk with an attorney to see how it would probably be handled in your state.

2. Reach an agreement with your stbx and submit it to the court. The way I would do it is to start by taking 1/2 of the difference in your wages. If you were to pay her $350 a month, then you would both be equal. HOWEVER, that is the upper end of what would make sense. I would argue that the actual amount should be somewhat less for several reasons:
- as the higher income taxpayer, you're going to be paying more taxes
- you would not be getting any value for the education or career effort you put into your career which resulted in a higher pay.

$350 is too high. $0 is too low. Figure out a number in between that the two of you can live with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">