• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son graduates from high school in June, what happens to child the support balance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

I just posted another question but this one is a little differnt then the first one. My son graduates in June, so child support will stop because he is 18. The balance will be over 12 grand by then if I don't get any payments. I'm assuming the balance will stay with child support services FOREVER. Is that right? There is nothing my ex can do to have the balance reduced right? I know I can ask child support services this but I dont feel like being on hold for 3 hrs. haha.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

I just posted another question but this one is a little differnt then the first one. My son graduates in June, so child support will stop because he is 18. The balance will be over 12 grand by then if I don't get any payments. I'm assuming the balance will stay with child support services FOREVER. Is that right? There is nothing my ex can do to have the balance reduced right? I know I can ask child support services this but I dont feel like being on hold for 3 hrs. haha.
In your other thread you mentioned that your son is disabled. That might make a big difference in what the CSE can do.
Although you might be on hold for awhile, go ahead and ask your caseworker, or go to thier office in person.

Yes, there is a california code (i forgot it but there is one) that having a disabled child/adult, the other parent is to support him/her after the age of 18/high school. It is something that I can file and go through the regional center (support center for disabled children/adults) for help. I was actually going ot look into that this week. My had has been disabled since he was 4 and even as up to last march he is still having brain surgeries. They removed 1/8 of his brain due to seizures. It helped a little but he still has 20 or more seizures a week. My ex will probably fight it and say he lives on the streets but I guess its worth me at least getting a court date.

california code....found it.

Cal. Fam. Code §3910, “The father and mother have an equal responsibility
to maintain, to the extent of their ability, a child of whatever age who is
incapacitated from earning a living and without sufficient means.”

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">