• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son Moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madwaxx

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My son's mother is getting married tomorrow and plans to move out of the state to Memphis, TN which is about 90 miles from where I live. We never married and have not gone through any legalities on custody. We have pretty much each kept him 50% percent of the time and it has worked out great, as we have gotten along and put our son first.

I don't completely trust her, because sometimes I ask for my son on special occasions and she gets mad and threatens me about taking legal action. She has claimed him on her taxes every year and when I brought up the question of switching off every other year, she threw a fit. To keep the peace, I didn't press the issue.

I knew she was engaged but didn't find out she was getting married tomorrow until yesterday, and that was through the words of my son. What are the legalities in her just up and moving out of state with my son?

Shay-Pari'e

madwaxx said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My son's mother is getting married tomorrow and plans to move out of the state to Memphis, TN which is about 90 miles from where I live. We never married and have not gone through any legalities on custody. We have pretty much each kept him 50% percent of the time and it has worked out great, as we have gotten along and put our son first.

I don't completely trust her, because sometimes I ask for my son on special occasions and she gets mad and threatens me about taking legal action. She has claimed him on her taxes every year and when I brought up the question of switching off every other year, she threw a fit. To keep the peace, I didn't press the issue.

I knew she was engaged but didn't find out she was getting married tomorrow until yesterday, and that was through the words of my son. What are the legalities in her just up and moving out of state with my son?
There are no court orders. Guess what? She can move to Egypt.

rmet4nzkx

Then you better get down to the court house and file for custody 50/50 and visitation and an order to stop the move although it may be to late since she isn't required to give notice if there is not court order in placem you must get orders before she has moved the child and established residence elsewhere for 6 months. Will you have possession of the child while she is away, if so, you migh be granted tempoary custody, but she won't get in trouble since there are no orders. We are assuming you have established paternity already.

nextwife

You've heard the expresssion " you snooze, you loose?"

You snoozed - you failed to legally establish your rights and to obtain a court order to share custody. You may even have failed to legally establish paternity. In an unmarried situation, dad has no rights until they establish them in court.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">