• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Split Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deputy dawg

What is the name of your state? N.Y.
I have 2 children that I pay child support for. This week my 16 y/o daughter moved in with me because of problems she was having with her mother. My question is, how does that effect my child support?? If I have one child living with me and one child is living with her does it even out, or do i still owe CS.

LdiJ

And if your income is higher than mom's, you can still expect to have to pay some support. If mom's income is higher than your's she may have to pay you some support.

SM5NY

You need to get your current order modified ASAP. Having a child live with you will effect what you are currently paying in child support cause the circumstances have changed. However, the CS is only changed if you go back to court to modify it. Hence the ASAP. Further more, you might find that you still have to pay some CS depending on your income and moms income.. who makes more $$.

audster

I still don't understand that little gem....in a 50/50 arangement or when kids are split and 1 kid is with each parent, why then is there a need for child support?

LdiJ

audster said:
I still don't understand that little gem....in a 50/50 arangement or when kids are split and 1 kid is with each parent, why then is there a need for child support?
Because rarely do both parents make exactly the same amount of money. Basically, the way it works out is that child support is calculated for mom for one child, and then dad for one child...and the parent with the higher amount pays the difference between the two in child support.

bubbly602

sweetielove

you need to start your own thread. What you did is called hijacking someone else's post. Even though you may feel your situation is similar, you need to post a thread of your own, then people can concentrate on trying to help the person who posted this thread here, and try and help you on your own thread. Good Luck

S

sweetielove

Opps!!!! sorry ya'll!!!!

Sorry, didn't know, new here!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">