• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Splitting Extracurricular Activities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyesblue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

Right now my ex pays less than $100 a month for our 3 kids. He doesn't help me at all with things like school supplies or extracurricular activities. Support is due to be reviewed in about 8 months and I've run the numbers, it looks like support may drop even lower, to less than $50/month. What do I need to do to prepare for asking our judge to order him to split extras with me 50/50? Are my chances better since he pays so little in support? He used to help me with this stuff but has stopped in the last year or two.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

Right now my ex pays less than $100 a month for our 3 kids. He doesn't help me at all with things like school supplies or extracurricular activities. Support is due to be reviewed in about 8 months and I've run the numbers, it looks like support may drop even lower, to less than $50/month. What do I need to do to prepare for asking our judge to order him to split extras with me 50/50? Are my chances better since he pays so little in support? He used to help me with this stuff but has stopped in the last year or two.
You can always ask, but typically, the child support you receive is to help cover that.

Why is it so low? If he's working only part time, you can ask for him to be imputed a full time income.

Alternatively, if you're at or close to 50:50, that would cause CS to be low - and might help to make a case that you should split extras.

blueyesblue

We share 50/50. The reason I think it will go lower is because our oldest turned 19 over a year ago, so the next time it will be reviewed, the state won't be factoring him in.

So I should focus on the fact we share 50/50 to prove my case?

blueyesblue

Our kids are only in 1 activity each. If I were to pull them they wouldn't have anything. This year he refused to pay half of school supplies like he usually does. I spent about $120 on school supplies and he only sent me a check for $25. I've spent nearly $80 on my daughters band fees and he won't respond to my reqests for half. I know he's not court ordered to do extra so what I'm wondering is if I have grounds to ask for half of extra expenses when we review again since support is bound to decrease even more?

proud_parent

Our kids are only in 1 activity each. If I were to pull them they wouldn't have anything. This year he refused to pay half of school supplies like he usually does. I spent about $120 on school supplies and he only sent me a check for $25. I've spent nearly $80 on my daughters band fees and he won't respond to my reqests for half. I know he's not court ordered to do extra so what I'm wondering is if I have grounds to ask for half of extra expenses when we review again since support is bound to decrease even more?
You are free to ask, but it would be wise for you and the kiddos to have a backup plan in the event that your request to split the extras is not granted

Isis1

homestly, unless you AND dad agreed to any and all of these extras, there is no reason he should pay half of it. at 50/50, you are both paying for utilities, food, a roof over their heads and clothes for them. you may request he pay for half of school supplies, but really? those orders are the hardest to uphold. especially when it comes down to who decides what is reasonable. you may want the $200 dollar tennis shoes, when dad thinks he could have bought shoes for $20 so he should only have to contribute $10.00. those things get nasty.

mistoffolees

You probably don't want to hear this, but you're wasting your time. You're tying up the courts over his half of $200? When you consider that he's already paid you half, you're fighting over $75?

Use the time that you're spending worrying about this and fighting over it to take a part time job. You'll make more than the amount in question - and won't have to worry about the judge throwing you out on your rear.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If you choose to go to the review, it won't hurt to ask that each parent be responsible for 50% of school related items. Be prepared to show receipts of what was purchased to present to the judge. If they say "no", you are no worse off than not having asked at all.

LdiJ

If you choose to go to the review, it won't hurt to ask that each parent be responsible for 50% of school related items. Be prepared to show receipts of what was purchased to present to the judge. If they say "no", you are no worse off than not having asked at all.
The whole purpose of child support being low when custody is 50/50 is due to the fact that each parent is supposed to be providing for the child, during that parent's time.

I think its highly unlikely that a judge would consider it reasonable, in a 50/50 situation, for one parent to be stuck with all the school related costs. I cannot imagine a judge NOT ordering dad to pay for 1/2 of that stuff. Extras maybe not, but required items yes.

Dad should be responsible for 1/2 of the children's school clothes and other sundries as well.

tuffbrk

Dad should be responsible for 1/2 of the children's school clothes and other sundries as well.
We don't really know the situation. She says it is 50/50. It is very possible that Dad maintains the basics and clothing at his home so she needs to take care of what is maintained at her house.

She also indicates that she has spent $120 on school supplies...seems a bit pricey to me for two kids. So his half was $60 and he's given her $25 so she's getting upset over $35.

The band fees? Dad should have been consulted prior to payment. I find it interesting that Dad "used" to help out but doesn't any longer.

Last edited:

tuffbrk

Thought she mentioned that she had a 19 yo. In that case, a scientific calculator should already be in the home.

Backpacks? Well sure if you purchase high quality it could run up to $60 for one. But if you purchase high quality, you don't need to buy a new one every year.

My perception is that Mom is keeping the kiddies happy (and perhaps she can afford to or perhaps she is trying to shield kiddies from cost of living adjustment realities and chooses to do without herself) and then Dad is being asked to cover half.

I'm kinda stuck on Dad "used" to contribute.

mistoffolees

One child needing a scientific calculator can easily get the bill to $120.00. Or throw in a few backpacks and it can get there too.
OP says it was $120 - so I don't see any reason to doubt it. Obviously, the kids didn't need scientific calculators or computers for school or the total would have been higher.

The other side of the coin might be someone like my daughter. Leaving out her uniforms (since public schools usually don't require that, although it's changing), I doubt if I spent $10 on school supplies this year. She had everything she needed left from last year and wanted to reuse her backpack and lunch box.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I didn't read how many children are involved here. For all we know the oldest child may have need of their scientific calculator. Or there is the need for more than one calculator, etc. By the time I bought enough binders for all the classes, etc, I easily spent over $60 this year. And I haven't even started on the fees. Regardless, if they have close to a 50/50 split, it is UNREASONABLE for only ONE parent to be responsible for the fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">