• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse wants to keep child support at current rate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chutchens215

Indiana

My ex wants me to continue paying child support at more than what I am capable of doing. My ex states that since I was capable of making that amount of money before then the court will order that amount to be paid no matter what I do. I am not working right now but continue to send in the current amount out of my current spouse's money. Is it true that I can't get it lowered since I use to make a certain amount of money?

Antigone*

Indiana

My ex wants me to continue paying child support at more than what I am capable of doing. My ex states that since I was capable of making that amount of money before then the court will order that amount to be paid no matter what I do. I am not working right now but continue to send in the current amount out of my current spouse's money. Is it true that I can't get it lowered since I use to make a certain amount of money?
Why are you listening to your spouse? If you are not working you can request a modification.

tuffbrk

Why are you not working anymore? Were you laid off and are receiving unemployment? Have you been seeking employment?

nextwife

If the loss was INVOLUNTARY, you can and should file for a modification while continuing to job hunt. In todays economic environment, it is no longer true we can always expect someone to earn in the future what they earned in the past. To quote Chad and Jeremy from the 60's: ".. that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">