• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI and Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jimk457

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

If a non-custodial parent has never worked and gets only SSI, are they required to pay child support? This parent never takes the child and rarely visits with the child.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

If a non-custodial parent has never worked and gets only SSI, are they required to pay child support? This parent never takes the child and rarely visits with the child.
How folks expect anyone on SSI to make ends meet, much less support a child, is beyond me. :cool:

The answer to your question is no.

t74

It's sad because the child cannot be taken care of.
This is something you should have considered before creating a child with the person.

It is possible in some states that the CP would have to pay support to the NCP to assist with the child's visitation expenses.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's sad because the child cannot be taken care of.
What's sad is that the custodial parent either cannot or will not help the NCP during his/her parenting time. Or can the CP not take care of the child, either?

Proserpina

Oh. Well, I suppose we now know why ...

"Let me relocate otherwise I'm going to file for child support" . Bargaining power.

Call me jaded, but when I hear hooves I tend to think of horses and not zebras.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oh. Well, I suppose we now know why ...

"Let me relocate otherwise I'm going to file for child support" . Bargaining power.

Call me jaded, but when I hear hooves I tend to think of horses and not zebras.
I tend to think of jack-donkeys. (deferring to site sensibilities....)

LdiJ

SSI (supplemental security income) is a benefit for people who are disabled who have not amassed enough social security credits to qualify for Social Security Disability. (SSDI)

Those benefits may not be garnished for any reason. While I have heard of some very rare instances where a judge has ordered that someone pay child support while having only SSI, the vast majority of judges will not do so, because there is literally no way to actually collect support. The amount of income received is well below the poverty level and well below what anyone can support themselves on, let alone anyone else. People on SSI can generally only survive if they live with family and even then they generally cannot pay their fair share of their own support. As far as I know state child support agencies will not even begin to attempt to collect anything if the parent has SSI, because they know its a waste of their efforts.

Even if you were to get a rare judge who would order child support, it would generally be an amount so low that it would take years just to recover the cost of obtaining the child support order, let alone coming out ahead. Your child is 15 therefore the odds of you collecting enough support to recover what you spend in getting an order would be even slimmer.

And...please do not say "but she isn't disabled". Its harder than heck to get on SSI and the odds of someone being successful in doing so if they do not have an actual disability are slim to none.

If you want to relocate with your child then its up to you to follow the procedures in your state to do so and hope that the courts will rule in your favor. Since your son is 15 and has always lived with you, then unless your son WANTS to live with mom your odds are better than the odds for most parents.

However, you are not going to be able to leverage child support against mom to get her to agree to your relocation, so just do it the proper way, through court.

Proserpina

And...please do not say "but she isn't disabled". Its harder than heck to get on SSI and the odds of someone being successful in doing so if they do not have an actual disability are slim to none.
THANK YOU.

I get so very tired reading that "everyone" and "anyone" can "fake it" to get "free money" (though it's usually only ex-partners who miraculously and magically acquire that particular talent, which is quite odd) and it's jolly nice to see someone else try to get the message across.

LdiJ

THANK YOU.

I get so very tired reading that "everyone" and "anyone" can "fake it" to get "free money" (though it's usually only ex-partners who miraculously and magically acquire that particular talent, which is quite odd) and it's jolly nice to see someone else try to get the message across.
Eh, there is always that one in 10 thousands who manages to pull it off, SOMEHOW, but that one in 10 thousands is almost always SSDI, not SSI.

Adults on SSI are almost always people who either experienced a profound disability event in young adulthood or who were identified as permanently disabled as children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">