• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State aid/ CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jazzyjam

What is the name of your state? Oh

I see many questions/discussions about welfare and child support. My question is this: My dh has paid CS for the last 12 years or so never missing one payment. His ex has previously been on state aid in other states, can they come after us for welfare paid to her?

seniorjudge

jazzyjam said:
What is the name of your state? Oh

I see many questions/discussions about welfare and child support. My question is this: My dh has paid CS for the last 12 years or so never missing one payment. His ex has previously been on state aid in other states, can they come after us for welfare paid to her?
Q: His ex has previously been on state aid in other states, can they come after us for welfare paid to her?

A: It is certainly possible; make sure he keeps excellent records.

jazzyjam

It is taken directly from his check. Why keep a record though? Can you explain the logic in him having to pay state back. She works now, couldn't she pay it back also? She also has 2 older children that don't belong to him that would have received aid also.

seniorjudge

jazzyjam said:
It is taken directly from his check. Why keep a record though? Can you explain the logic in him having to pay state back. She works now, couldn't she pay it back also? She also has 2 older children that don't belong to him that would have received aid also.
Q: It is taken directly from his check. Why keep a record though?

A: If you do not understand the concept of keeping good records, I don't know that I have the time to explain it to you on an internet forum.

Q: Can you explain the logic in him having to pay state back. She works now, couldn't she pay it back also?

A: I have no idea what (if anything at all) goes through the heads of bureaucrats.

jazzyjam

Let me try to put it another way. If he keeps a record (which he does) would that mean he wouldn't have to pay the state back or would pay less? What does keeping a record have to do with welfare? Doesn't really seem (from other questions on here) that they really care.

Gracie3787

jazzyjam said:
Let me try to put it another way. If he keeps a record (which he does) would that mean he wouldn't have to pay the state back or would pay less? What does keeping a record have to do with welfare? Doesn't really seem (from other questions on here) that they really care.
As long as the court ordered CS has been paid, no, they cannot come back on the NCP later for reimbursement. To put it another way: NCP pays the court ordered amount- CP collects aid, telling the agency about CS paid: neither parent has to reimburse. However, if CP does NOT tell agency about CS recieved, then CP (not the NCP) will be required to reimburse.

When a CS order is enforced by garnishment, the employer send the CS to the state disbursement unit, who in turn, notifies the CS court clerk of the payment. So anytime you need a record of payments made just contact the clerk's office and they'll give you a complete print out, usually the cost is about $1 per page.

seniorjudge

Gracie3787 said:
As long as the court ordered CS has been paid, no, they cannot come back on the NCP later for reimbursement. To put it another way: NCP pays the court ordered amount- CP collects aid, telling the agency about CS paid: neither parent has to reimburse. However, if CP does NOT tell agency about CS recieved, then CP (not the NCP) will be required to reimburse.

When a CS order is enforced by garnishment, the employer send the CS to the state disbursement unit, who in turn, notifies the CS court clerk of the payment. So anytime you need a record of payments made just contact the clerk's office and they'll give you a complete print out, usually the cost is about $1 per page.
As long as the court ordered CS has been paid, no, they cannot come back on the NCP later for reimbursement.

Actually, that happens all the time. It can be a real mess...thus, my admonition to keep good records. Don't depend on the government for your records.

Gracie3787

seniorjudge said:
As long as the court ordered CS has been paid, no, they cannot come back on the NCP later for reimbursement.

Actually, that happens all the time. It can be a real mess...thus, my admonition to keep good records. Don't depend on the government for your records.
I agree. Relying on the gov't to keep things straight is akin to allowing a 5 year old to keep track of the household bills.;)

Tinaa

The State of New Mexico came after my husband (in Texas) when his ex was on welfare there. I gathered copies of all the canceled checks and sent them in. He called a couple of months later and the action was dropped. The State said they wouldn't prosecute the ex unless she tried to collect again in that state. They were all set to go after the dad but not the mom who was perpetrating a fraud. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">