• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State child support office unable to keep accurate records!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ekinney

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Tennessee

My daughter and ex- son-in-law have both been court ordered to pay $60.00 a week in child support for their 2 children that we grandparents have custody of. My daughter is currently in jail and unable to pay her part of the child support. My ex-son-in-law has always been real good about paying his until the last month. We have had the children for 7 months now and the first court order for child support was ordered at $75.00 a week with the father paying that. The judge then found out that my daughter and he were seperated and he told her it would be nice if she payed half. At that time the court order read that they were to split the payment in half. My daughter never payed anthing. My son-in-law was paying the whole $75.00 himself because that is what the court papers stated that they gave him, but not what was put on file, the half and half was. The first two payments he made were lost in the system and the first one has still yet to be recovered. The head of our local child support office told me that we would never get that one because the state had payed out a lot on these kids and that was reimbursement. Well we went back to court in 30 days because my daughter was going to try and fight the charges but changed her mind. At that time she had a job and the judge ordered the father to pay $75.00 a week and the mother to pay $60.00 a week. Well the child support office said that the father was ordered to pay $60.00 a week and the mother remain paying $37.50 a week. We finally got that fixed in January but then each parent came out only paying $60.00 a week. The mother never payed a penny in and she was working the whole time and it had been ordered to come out of her check and never was. I finally got one payment for $30.00 from the last check she made before she was arrested and sent to jail. The second payment the fahter made was found at the end of January and it was credited to my daughters account even after I told them it wasn't her payment and the check stub I got said it was from the father. In March I applied and was granted AFDC for the kids but I didn't receive March until April, and they took all of the child support payments I was to receive and cut them in half and only sent me half except for the $30.00 I got from my daughter's check. When I got the letter from child support services saying what they had payed me for April they said they cut that $30.00 payment in half when they didn't. I asked them to review the half payments back the first of April when I got the first one and was told there was a computer error. I have received several courtsey calls saying they are working on the problem but here it is 6 weeks later and they are still working on the problem. Where can I go to get someone to check out this mess? Just when I think it can't get any worse it does. My local child support office dosen't want to talk to me at all they left me a message saying if I had any futher questions to call the 1-800 number from now on. Any advice?

LdiJ

ekinney said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Tennessee

My daughter and ex- son-in-law have both been court ordered to pay $60.00 a week in child support for their 2 children that we grandparents have custody of. My daughter is currently in jail and unable to pay her part of the child support. My ex-son-in-law has always been real good about paying his until the last month. We have had the children for 7 months now and the first court order for child support was ordered at $75.00 a week with the father paying that. The judge then found out that my daughter and he were seperated and he told her it would be nice if she payed half. At that time the court order read that they were to split the payment in half. My daughter never payed anthing. My son-in-law was paying the whole $75.00 himself because that is what the court papers stated that they gave him, but not what was put on file, the half and half was. The first two payments he made were lost in the system and the first one has still yet to be recovered. The head of our local child support office told me that we would never get that one because the state had payed out a lot on these kids and that was reimbursement. Well we went back to court in 30 days because my daughter was going to try and fight the charges but changed her mind. At that time she had a job and the judge ordered the father to pay $75.00 a week and the mother to pay $60.00 a week. Well the child support office said that the father was ordered to pay $60.00 a week and the mother remain paying $37.50 a week. We finally got that fixed in January but then each parent came out only paying $60.00 a week. The mother never payed a penny in and she was working the whole time and it had been ordered to come out of her check and never was. I finally got one payment for $30.00 from the last check she made before she was arrested and sent to jail. The second payment the fahter made was found at the end of January and it was credited to my daughters account even after I told them it wasn't her payment and the check stub I got said it was from the father. In March I applied and was granted AFDC for the kids but I didn't receive March until April, and they took all of the child support payments I was to receive and cut them in half and only sent me half except for the $30.00 I got from my daughter's check. When I got the letter from child support services saying what they had payed me for April they said they cut that $30.00 payment in half when they didn't. I asked them to review the half payments back the first of April when I got the first one and was told there was a computer error. I have received several courtsey calls saying they are working on the problem but here it is 6 weeks later and they are still working on the problem. Where can I go to get someone to check out this mess? Just when I think it can't get any worse it does. My local child support office dosen't want to talk to me at all they left me a message saying if I had any futher questions to call the 1-800 number from now on. Any advice?
Normally if you are recieving state aid you don't actually GET the child support. The child support goes to the state to reimburse for the aid you are recieving.....with you normally recieving only a token amount of the support.
That may be what is happening now if you are receiving cash benefits from the state.

ekinney

LdiJ said:
Normally if you are recieving state aid you don't actually GET the child support. The child support goes to the state to reimburse for the aid you are recieving.....with you normally recieving only a token amount of the support.
That may be what is happening now if you are receiving cash benefits from the state.
We have what is called a needs met limit which ours is $349.00 a month. That means including child support and AFDC moneys can not exceed that much. I only get $141.00 in AFDC and his child support adds up to $240.00 a month. The two totals together add up to exactly my needs met limit. I can understand taking some of the child support if it goes over the limit.

VeronicaGia

When you applied for AFDC, you signed a paper that gave your support rights over to the state in exchange for getting state aid.

You've really put the father in a mess by doing this, as he will likely have to pay the state back now too. And he is the one who is paying...

Time to come down hard on your own daughter, enforce the support order against her and get off state aid so the father can continue to do the right thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">