• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which state determines child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crysanthium

I live in MA .. my daughter was born here but her mother moved to New York state with her when she was 4 and they live there now. My daughter is 19 and I have paid her mom support since she was 4 out of court. Now we do not get along and I am wondering if she filed for "legal" support which state laws would it be under .. and do i need be wary of anything else?

Thanks

LdiJ

I live in MA .. my daughter was born here but her mother moved to New York state with her when she was 4 and they live there now. My daughter is 19 and I have paid her mom support since she was 4 out of court. Now we do not get along and I am wondering if she filed for "legal" support which state laws would it be under .. and do i need be wary of anything else?

Thanks
As to what age child support would go, NY laws would apply. As to the calculation for the amount of support, CA's would apply.

LdiJ

*psst* I think you mean MA. MA would determine the calculation amount.
Mom and the child live in NY and there is not a current child support order...and they have lived there since the child was 4 which is also when dad began paying informal child support.

NY law would determine what age child support was to go to...CA law would apply to the actual calculation.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Mom and the child live in NY and there is not a current child support order...and they have lived there since the child was 4 which is also when dad began paying informal child support.

NY law would determine what age child support was to go to...CA law would apply to the actual calculation.
Why would CALIFORNIA determine CS amounts when Dad lives in MASSACHUSETTS? :cool:

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I could have sworn it said that the child was born in MA and he now lived in CA and mom in NY...my bad.
It's Monday.

The Monday after TG.

I'll be astonished if any regular poster doesn't at least brain fart a little today :)

(Sometimes that tryptophan coma lasts longer than the TG football game ...)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It's Monday.

The Monday after TG.

I'll be astonished if any regular poster doesn't at least brain fart a little today :)

(Sometimes that tryptophan coma lasts longer than the TG football game ...)
Maybe that is my problem today then...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">