• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which state do I file and verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eechterhoff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I currently live in Texas. My son's father and I divorced in PA and the first custody and child support orders where filed there. Later I moved to Colorado and the last order was filed in Colorado. Currently I live in Texas. My son and I made a verbal agreement for custody, support and visitation between us all 5 yrs ago in a Colorado court. At that time it was agreed upon that my son go back to PA to live with his father ..He was just about to turn 16 and turned 20 in late 2015. In exchange for him moving back to PA with his father, there was a list of things both of us would receive from his father. From open communication, continued but at a very low rate child support, visitations where the father paid all transport/travel ..including for high school grad, in addition to things purchased and paid for and or to my son ...ie ...xbox, internet, computer, drivers licence, jeep at 16, full college tuition at the college of my son's choice for a bachelor's degree to be completed in no more than 4 years and so on ...
He broke every part of this agreement. My son asked me to let it go until last year when my son would not do something his stepmother wanted him to ..They cut off his college and living expense allowance with no warning or notice. My son has since applied for student aid and loans etc and after missing two semesters, started back attending last semester. He now asked if I could do something to help. His stepmother told him, "good luck proving a verbal contract" ...
Additionally there are some past child support issues where the father owes me back support among a few other issues.
Which state do I find legal aid and file in?
AND ...All verbal agreements had several witnesses and possibly emails that went back and forth.
Where do I go and what do I do?

FlyingRon

Most likely you need to sue them where you have residency (presumably you have six months in Texas or whatever they require).

Generally all those agreements, especially for entirely luxury items like cars, video games, etc.... don't me squat.

As for college, while child support can generally be carried through college, TUITION, etc... is not an obligation of either parent.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I currently live in Texas. My son's father and I divorced in PA and the first custody and child support orders where filed there. Later I moved to Colorado and the last order was filed in Colorado. Currently I live in Texas. My son and I made a verbal agreement for custody, support and visitation between us all 5 yrs ago in a Colorado court. At that time it was agreed upon that my son go back to PA to live with his father ..He was just about to turn 16 and turned 20 in late 2015. In exchange for him moving back to PA with his father, there was a list of things both of us would receive from his father. From open communication, continued but at a very low rate child support, visitations where the father paid all transport/travel ..including for high school grad, in addition to things purchased and paid for and or to my son ...ie ...xbox, internet, computer, drivers licence, jeep at 16, full college tuition at the college of my son's choice for a bachelor's degree to be completed in no more than 4 years and so on ...
He broke every part of this agreement. My son asked me to let it go until last year when my son would not do something his stepmother wanted him to ..They cut off his college and living expense allowance with no warning or notice. My son has since applied for student aid and loans etc and after missing two semesters, started back attending last semester. He now asked if I could do something to help. His stepmother told him, "good luck proving a verbal contract" ...
Additionally there are some past child support issues where the father owes me back support among a few other issues.
Which state do I find legal aid and file in?
AND ...All verbal agreements had several witnesses and possibly emails that went back and forth.
Where do I go and what do I do?
Seems like Dad pulled his "boys" out of your purse. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">