• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Medical Assistance etc.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noobdad

What is the name of your state? NY

Me ex has our child on state medical aid. I have been thinking about what I can do to get her off it and pay for insurance etc. my self. I know people on here get peeved about having to pay for other peoples kids, but bear with me, im trying..

I know there are a lot of costs such as hospital birth stuff, and that is basically what the assistance was for as my kid doesn't have any chronic medical conditions and doesn't have to see the doctor often save the occasional check up.

So my question - if I were to convince my ex to take her off the assistance, would I be billed for all of the hospital charges for birth, and have to pay the state back for all of that? or would i just have to worry about keeping the little one on medical insurance (is that is even mandatory for a child in NY?) from then on?

on a side note.. I wouldn't be in this position in the first place if I could have had some sort of insurance for an unborn child while unmarried. Its crazy the court can force me to pay for these costs when I didn't even have a choice to have my OWN insurance to cover the cost of a birth. On top of that, hypothetically speaking I don't even have any say as to whether or not to keep her on state aid right now!! but whatever, thats just how it goes right?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? NY

Me ex has our child on state medical aid. I have been thinking about what I can do to get her off it and pay for insurance etc. my self. I know people on here get peeved about having to pay for other peoples kids, but bear with me, im trying..

I know there are a lot of costs such as hospital birth stuff, and that is basically what the assistance was for as my kid doesn't have any chronic medical conditions and doesn't have to see the doctor often save the occasional check up.

So my question - if I were to convince my ex to take her off the assistance, would I be billed for all of the hospital charges for birth, and have to pay the state back for all of that? or would i just have to worry about keeping the little one on medical insurance (is that is even mandatory for a child in NY?) from then on?

on a side note.. I wouldn't be in this position in the first place if I could have had some sort of insurance for an unborn child while unmarried. Its crazy the court can force me to pay for these costs when I didn't even have a choice to have my OWN insurance to cover the cost of a birth. On top of that, hypothetically speaking I don't even have any say as to whether or not to keep her on state aid right now!! but whatever, thats just how it goes right?
Yes you would be billed for all the hospital charges for birth. And you could have had the birth on your OWN insurance if you would have been married to the baby's mama before all this. That is the consequence of your choice. And yes you should have the little one (once determined he is yours) on your insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">