• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of Limitations on back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whgregg31

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana
My questions is If your children are of legal age and are adults do you still have to pay back child support for those adult children? Is there a statue of limitations in Louisiana?

VeronicaGia

whgregg31 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana
My questions is If your children are of legal age and are adults do you still have to pay back child support for those adult children? Is there a statue of limitations in Louisiana?
Go here: http://ocse3.acf.dhhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/selectastate.cfm

Click on Louisiana. Apparently Louisiana has a 10 year statute of limitations, but my guess is that it is after the last payment is due. So if your last payment for the youngest child was due 10 years ago, the limit is up.

Also, on that website there's information regarding a lien placed on property.

If your youngest child was emancipated more then 10 years ago, it appears they cannot collect, but if the youngest became of age this year, back support can be collected for the next 10 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">